Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guzzo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am quite new to this Forum business but anyhow here goes.

Quite a few years ago when I lived in QLD I used to keep a Childrens Python and a Coastal Carpet. I have re kindled my interest however and recently bought a Darwin Carpet Juvenile.

Anyhow I am no expert and decided to join this site after snooping through it and seeing it is full of good advice.

Well anyhow, I thought I would make my first post a story. (I will try to keep it brief)

The other morning my Jack Russell was barking so I went out to investigate. There on the ground was a nice big old Darwin Carpet. My Jack Russell is a terrible thing when it comes to wildlife and both he and the python were getting worked up.

I did not want him to damage this python though I think he probably would have been the one damaged as it was a big one.

So I picked up this lovely big snake and shooed the dog and had a bit of a look at this beautiful reptile. (So this is what my small version may grow to)

It was calm and despite wrapping around my arm (not even tight) it seemed quite placid.

Well I saw a tick on its eye and thought I would remove it before letting it go...and that’s when the good deed got punished!!!

It turned its head and gave my thumb a good old respect gaining bite.......I did not pull my thumb out as I did not want to damage the snake or me (any further). It soon let go and gave me a good loud HISSS.

I decided this was a good time to let it go and released it into a tree however it decided to spend the day near my pond before disappearing during the night.

It is the second Darwin carpet I have seen at home along with a Childrens Python. I feel privileged to share my home with these wild pythons as well as every species of frog in the Territory (or so it seems).

Damn, I have never been able to get close enough to a tame enough wild python, I suppose you have the touch eh guzzo? :D

Well it was raining so it might have been a bit slowwer than normal, but it did not seem to be worried about me. it was at about 8ft......how big will a Darwin get??? I have seen som pictures of big ones in the local paper from time to time.

p.s Oh I suppose did not think about the ticks feelings

pps That red spot on my shirt that looks like a dog is blood. haha

The biggest i have found in the wild was 3.1m. Where abouts did it turn up? There are alot about at this time of the year.

Lol yeah it does appear that they turn up out of no where. The hottest spot i have found for them is along the road near the hospital, but all the really big ones turned up in girraween.

Well I am not sure what it has been eating but this is the poop it left - pictured next to my size 14 boot

Last edited:
great story

at the risk of sounding a tad jealous,you guys are so lucky to have all this going on in your back garden.thats one beautifull country you live in.
cheers shaun

I hope this works

attachment.php
attachment.php

I have a small one at home (pictured) It was good to see this wild one as i have a bit better idea on what size Darwins can get. I wonder how old it would be?

attachment.php

My hubby was a volly at howard springs fire brigade and we would forever get darwin carpets in the shed, myself the only one who had snakes would be the one to remove them... Was awesome :) Great size that one guzzo

Our house has a steep high roof with big open beams (i could easily stand upright and I am 6'5"). I think i will get up there one night with a torch and see if i can spot any. Only thing is I am not very ok with heights and spiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back