Not a python, a boa

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jeeze i guess you dont have laws or restrictions on enclosure sizes for your snakes. Thats apauling bud (although after seeing your other thread of it before at least its clean, nice job). I recomend a bigger enclosure, and im suprised the snake hasnt already escaped out of glass tank

Last edited:
dude you can't catch a break lol.
shnakey if you haven't read his other thread then you aren't seeing it. this snake was rescued from someone who had died. as of yesterday the snake had several old sheds and crap and probably little to no water in the enclosure. this guy has rescued the snake and trust me, it is now in pristine conditions as to what it was previously!!
but incase you aren't sure prolionjh, normally for a snake that size, you'd get an enclosure something like 4 foot long, 2 foot high, 2 foot wide. that's a general rule. but as a temporary enclosure that is fine. :)

oh haha you beat me to it. good on you, i think what you've done is great. :) update new pics of the enclosure you're building too. i love to see inspiring things like that. makes me thing i should get a move on with my enclosures. lol

That would be good for now...but i recommend you make a wooden enclosure
they really aren't that hard to make....as said before boas need a fair bit of heat...
you also will need a bigger deeper water bowl...i can already see that it is over flowing.
I'm guessing that the substrate is the same stuff that they use for rodents and not proper snake bedding? well that rodent bedding can harm your snake.

any way good intentions aren't going to help the snake ,you need to go on to another website that is based overseas, where keeping such animals is legal and more keepers that actually know there stuff about boas so you can get the facts on keeping them...we are only allowed to keep Aussie snakes every thing else is illegal here.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Any help is good help right now. I used aspen, I was told it was ok at local pet store for substrate. The enclosure I am building will be 6ft by 3ft wide and 4ft high. made of forming plywood for the back, sides, and bottom, and a lexan front.

Aspen is absolutely fine and totally harmless to reptiles, DON'T use pine.
Glass tanks aren't ideal for many reptiles as they don't hold heat well, timber cages are ideal. I would also avoid lexan as it will scratch very easily especially with a large snake like that Boa, glass is a far better choice. Give it at least one big branch securely fixed right across the cage length as boas love to climb.

That sounds like a fantastic enclosure! the big guy will love it. and as boa said, have a huge branch or branches for it to climb on, it will love you for it. :) can't wait to see the finished enclosure

Any help is good help right now. I used aspen, I was told it was ok at local pet store for substrate. The enclosure I am building will be 6ft by 3ft wide and 4ft high. made of forming plywood for the back, sides, and bottom, and a lexan front.

sounds like ur snakes is moving from hell to heaven,....good on u for taking it in. :)

Nice work mate, glad you are sorting it out! The enclosure size you are going for will be great! For your finish, I will recommend going with Cabot's clear water-based polyurethane. Cabot's also makes water based stains if you'd like to add a bit of colour to the ply. Home Despot stocks all that gear so you should have no problem finding it there. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Good work so far, mate! It's fantastic that you've taken on the responsibilities of your new little boa, especially when his conditions before were far from ideal. Your new enclosure sounds fantastic. Keep us posted with pics (I am just starting to look into building my own enclosures, as well). Also, what is his name? :) And is he feeding/shedding/handling okay?

thats great nice to see him all clean now poor thing after yesterday .,.... good luck with him .... looks like hesin better hands now i dont think ive ever seen a more discusting depressing sight as the photo of him yesterday .... all the best with him hope to see updates

Sounds like the snake has landed in safe hands....... well done on the enclosure cleanup........ and good luck with the construction of the new enclosure. Keep us posted!

Hi Ya
Just went and looked at the other thread
ewwwww the poor snake...I would be worried about an infection.....even respiratory from being in that mess and being in a tank that may have been too cold. Poor thing probably wasnt being fed etiher....
You have done a really good thing rescing the snake.
I agree with everyone else you need to find a list with people who own these snakes so they can really help you get the conditon right
Let us know how you get on
Regards
Elizabeth

Nice work mate, id be going for the 6ft size 2, most of us would be recommending 4ft because thats what we are sued to lol, keep us posted, and good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back