Costa Rica Turtles...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I live in CR and help with the egg collection.
It isn't what you think !
The dealio is, our biologists have found that by just leaving the eggs they get dug up and destroyed by females coming in days later. Then the rotting eggs feed a bacteria that inhibits the newer eggs from hatching.
What you are seeing has been very successful in nearly tripling the amount of hatchlings coming off those beaches.

Don't believe ever picture you see. That community is quite serious about their turtles !
Take care.

PS. I have a toucan rescue and a botanical garden

Last edited by a moderator:
The dealio is, our biologists have found that by just leaving the eggs they get dug up and destroyed by females coming in days later. Then the rotting eggs feed a bacteria that inhibits the newer eggs from hatching.
What you are seeing has been very successful in nearly tripling the amount of hatchlings coming off those beaches.

Don't believe ever picture you see. That community is quite serious about their turtles !
Take care.

Tripling the number of hatchies? I wonder what effect that will have on biodiversity.

Don't worry, some of us don't believe every picture we see. Well done on the good work, a lot of countries could learn a great deal from Coast Rica.

Take care.

"a lot of countries could learn a great deal from Coast Rica" (sic)
...especially this one, think how good this place would be with 25% of the country national park, no money had been wasted on a military since 1950 and we had a worldclass medical system.

I agree 100%. The amount of money wasted and habitat lost has been immense.

Some nations do it for food, we did the same in the name of science. Where are all the (now extinct) mouth-brooding frogs ?
In jars at the Queensland Museum - well "conserved" as voucher specimens.

Before everyone jumps on the soapbox lets not forget we hunted whales until 1978, we shoot 20 + million roos every year and no doubt there are many that find that unacceptable. Different cultures look at things in a different way BUT maybe look at this before jumping to too many conclusions. Costa Rica has an enviable conservation record.
Costa Rica Turtle Egg Harvest Protest Email

Harvesting wild roos for meat is the most envirmentally friendly and ethical way to get high quality red meat in Australia, anyone who suggests otherwise is simply ignorant.

Under native title and cruelty legislation certain cultural groups in Australia are allowed to brutally kill endangered animals such as native turtles and their eggs, also including dugongs(which are mammals like whales are). Yet the general ignorant public is against sustainable whaling while our government lacks the guts to stand up to the damaging trade of blue fin tuna in a poor attempt to try and suck the japanese weaner while peeing on its culture.

The main threat to conservation and sustainability is human population growth and ignorance. Both are increasing at an rate that can only lead to massive environmental destruction and WW3.

Last edited:
Some nations do it for food, we did the same in the name of science. Where are all the (now extinct) mouth-brooding frogs ?
In jars at the Queensland Museum - well "conserved" as voucher specimens.

and over seas for medical research. dead of course we would only assume. but alot took that path aswell...

Well at least they are preserved for posterity and they don't have to worry about that tedious survival thing anymore.

I don't believe these people are eating the eggs. Look at the number of Turtles on that beach! If they were eating them, do you think they just decided to collect them this year all of a sudden? If they were taking them for food or whatever, they would have done it year after year, and there would not be this number of turtles on a single beach. They come back to the same beach they were born on, so all of them made it away from there ok? How would you explain this if no nest went undiscovered?

kangaroos are a native pest west of the great divide. they are in plague proportions. i know from relatives, and my mum, that 20-30-40 years ago, if out at dubbo you would spend the night at the pub talking about how amazing it was to see a kangaroo, and if you did, you would be the talk of the town. nowdays cattle propertys are overrun by kangaroos, and they are very dangerous if in drought times. they are in their thousands in towns like mudgee and gulgong and goolma and wellington. and they cost the property owners thousands. kangaroos are not a fair comparison.

I don't believe these people are eating the eggs. Look at the number of Turtles on that beach! If they were eating them, do you think they just decided to collect them this year all of a sudden? If they were taking them for food or whatever, they would have done it year after year, and there would not be this number of turtles on a single beach. They come back to the same beach they were born on, so all of them made it away from there ok? How would you explain this if no nest went undiscovered?

have you not read the follow up articles? they only collect the first 36 hours of the breeding period.

As long as this is no new thing and has been happeneing for centurys, i have no problem with it, because then it isn;t having to much effect on the turtles. But if its new, then i'm bothered because it may have a serious effect on the whole ecosystem.

Will

have you not read the follow up articles? they only collect the first 36 hours of the breeding period.

Oh na I didn't see that. In that case whatever they do with the eggs doesn't bother me then. They're obviously doing ok, and if they didn't take those eggs imagine how many there would be on that beach.

As long as this is no new thing and has been happeneing for centurys, i have no problem with it, because then it isn;t having to much effect on the turtles. But if its new, then i'm bothered because it may have a serious effect on the whole ecosystem.

Will

The new thing is the increase in human population, without proper management its very likely to cause problems. Recognition of such problems often only occurs when there are humans doing well enough to spend their time worrying about these things, this is not something that happens in every country.

i think with growing population, the 36hour regulation should remain, but also a limit as per person, and once an overall limit has been reached, sorry for the ones that missed out.

but regulations are hard to develop in a developing country such as costa rica. however they have seemed to been doing a very good job in all areas of the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back