Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of money goes a long way for a decent enclosure,but we all have blonde moments and so our pet could get out. At the end of the day I thought this site was about helping and supporting thy fellow Herpers, not ridiculing them. It was said before don't read the thread if you dont want to

i havent read any of this thread except for the starting post.
All i have to add is that i know of a person highly respected in the Reptile world. he told me yesterday to lock them in good as he lost a monitor as recent as a few weeks ago. It is still missing. It happens to the best of us at times i suppose.

I have to totally agree. In my opinion people who allow their snakes to escape are potentially allowing hybrids to take a hold in the wild and threaten the purity of all of Australias snakes. It amazes me the amount of people who jump up and down at people cross breeding in captivity but then totally ignore the potential damage done by a snake that escapes in an area that it is not native. All it takes is one of these snakes to breed with a local snake and you have a whole lot of hybrids out there that will keep on breeding..As for the people who continually allow their snakes to escape ( I know there's one member here who has lost their coastal 5 times) they quite simply shouldn't be allowed the privelege of owning reptiles.

Ben
Your general point is taken but what exactly is the danger in different natives cross breeding and in so doing producing another native. I would hazard a guess that this has happened at least once before in the last few million years.

Couple of my adders broke out the other night, sprung some tiger snake mates as well! They hot wired and nicked next doors car, cruised into town, picked up some chicks, got pissed and created all kinds of havoc and mayhem! Had to go down to the local cop shop and bail em all out at 4am!!!!!!

that's really scaring and dangerous hope this won't bring any side affect on you ,

im going to jump on the other side of things not everyone is perfect like you redbelly.... ive lost a python it was my fault, the thermometer cord got caught between the glass as i shut it which was now enough for the python to push through and open it more. im sure you have made mistakes in your life. Edit. I also have locks on my enclosures now.

does this mean if you lock your car keys in the car or loose them you shouldnt own a car? No people make mistakes and just because you see it on the forums often is probably because more and more people are getting into the hobby so there are more people coming to the forums ill use another type of analogy. the more cars on the road the more crashes.
/rant //bad day

This was never meant as a high n mighty thread ever!! ...I was pointing out that it is happening alot of late and to be aware and take action to make sure it cant happen again ...In all truth I do a bit of OCD when it comes to my lot ..and will check several times that they are locked after I know I have either cleaned ,fed or water'd them ....
re offenders well you need to give yourselves a good kick in the butt ..and I do mean that ..

what exactly is the danger in different natives cross breeding and in so doing producing another native. I would hazard a guess that this has happened at least once before in the last few million years.

:shock: What?? Am I reading that correctly?

Are you asking (as an example) "What's the danger of a Bredls python escaping and breeding with a wild Murray Darling python, because both are natives?"

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

:shock: What?? Am I reading that correctly?

Are you asking (as an example) "What's the danger of a Bredls python escaping and breeding with a wild Murray Darling python, because both are natives?"

Please correct me if I'm wrong!
what I am saying is that species evolve. All the species with us today were not created from nothing to suddenly become what they are today. (the beliefs of the creationists excepted) There is crossbreeding involved all the way and what we have today will not be what we have in another million years. Do you think there is no crossbreeding in the wild where there is overlapping range.
If by chance the escaped bredli did crossbreed with the MD, what danger is likely as a result. I would have thought natural selection would sort it out anyway.

what I am saying is that species evolve. All the species with us today were not created from nothing to suddenly become what they are today. (the beliefs of the creationists excepted) There is crossbreeding involved all the way and what we have today will not be what we have in another million years. Do you think there is no crossbreeding in the wild where there is overlapping range.
If by chance the escaped bredli did crossbreed with the MD, what danger is likely as a result. I would have thought natural selection would sort it out anyway.

I agree with your point there baxtor, but there is no need for humans to "help" it along by introducing snakes to a different area...

I was'nt aiming this at what could be if your snakes got out into the wild and cross bred etc ...
More to the point, that either, and we have read it on here,my snake is loose and I own a cat thread ,or
what could happen to your dear little spotted outside and cruising along and unfortunantly ,your dumb a*s* neighbour cant tell the difference between a little spotted and an eastern brown, so spot gets the shovel chop !

That was more to the point of why I was saying becareful and re check your snakes homes ...I realise we all make mistakes ...but too late often happens ..and prevention and acknowledment is better....

it makes me wonder what people are using as enclosures for them to escape.
is there a pattern?

I have a glass tower that we keep out port mac in and not once has he escaped, even as a hatchy.

I will even go to the point of saying, IF YOU CAN"T HOUSE A SNAKE WITHOUT IT ESCAPING, DONT KEEP ANY!!!!!!!!!!

What if one of yours escapes, are you going to sell your whole collection because your not able to keep snakes?

Everyone who is jumping up and down and becoming defensive...settle down....breathe....in...out...there you go ;)

No one is suggesting that people cannot make mistakes, nor that you cannot be distracted.
I'm sure that those situations can happen to the best keepers out there.

This (at least for me) is more frustration at people who have a 'she'll be right attitude' and just don't take enough care and pay enough attention.
Sometimes it is good to have a fresh look at what you do and how you do it. Could you do better?
If you already are, then rest easy :)

What if one of yours escapes, are you going to sell your whole collection because your not able to keep snakes?
None of mine will escape! Simple. From a hatchy I have kept mine in an escape proof LOCKED enclosures.
The only way they could escape is if someone came in and unlocked them and set them free.

Even if i have to get them out to clean or feed I have always kept an eye on them and always will. When people have set "procedures" when cleaning/feeding their animals there should be no escapes from "forgetting to close the door properly"

So my statement still stands.
IF YOU CAN"T HOUSE A SNAKE WITHOUT IT ESCAPING, DONT KEEP ANY!!!!!!!!!!

I keep leaving Liams door intentionally open, hopeing that he will escape. As yet he has not taken the bait.

If only he wsa reptile and not my teenage son.

None of mine will escape! Simple. From a hatchy I have kept mine in an escape proof LOCKED enclosures.
The only way they could escape is if someone came in and unlocked them and set them free.

Even if i have to get them out to clean or feed I have always kept an eye on them and always will. When people have set "procedures" when cleaning/feeding their animals there should be no escapes from "forgetting to close the door properly"

So my statement still stands.
IF YOU CAN"T HOUSE A SNAKE WITHOUT IT ESCAPING, DONT KEEP ANY!!!!!!!!!!

Well its good to know your always on the ball, never making any mistakes, EVER! And by saying that, if a snake does ever escape, i dont expect you to be comeing on here asking for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back