how often should you hold a python to maintain a 'good handler'?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funkstaa

Reaction score
I've had my spotted python a couple of months now and I'm still chicken ****e to hold him - when I was at the shop where I bought him - and when I took him for his 'check-up' with Nev at Emerald I was fine but when I'm by myself I freak out...
I haven't held him for just over a week and I want to hold him before his next feed but I'm worried I'll get bitten, I know it's not going to hurt - I think I'm more worried how I'll react I don't want to hurt him by moving or something...
Also I'm under the impression I shouldn't hold him for a few days after feeding is this right?
Should I wait until he's had his next feed so he's not hungry or just suck it up ?
Also any idea what size mice I should be feeding him - he was supposedly eating large mice when I bought him but he was regurging :(

Attachments

• fluffy and fifi 011.jpg
    fluffy and fifi 011.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 240
it's your call mate, but generally the rule is dont hold him while you can see the lump in him so 48-72 hours after a feed he should be right to hold :) but some snakes take more handling then others to keep good handling skills, generally i get my fella out maybe once every couple of days give or take

how old is that pic ? the reason i ask is the retained shed , has it all came off ?
as for handling - suck it up . learn to get bittern then learn on how to tell what mood the snake is in [ not to get bittern]
as for feeding id put it onto rats- how old is the snake ? how long is it - how much duz it weigh [as that will deppend on what size to feed it ]

if he's regurgitating then i would suggest you check how you are thawing out his food,.... if you use hot tap / boiling water you will effectively cook his food, if you haven't thawed it long enough its brain may still be semi frozen, If he has swallowed it its not too big,

If you can see a decent lump after he's eaten, then his food is big enough, if you cant see an obvious lump, then its time to upsize

and i think you should have been more worried about getting the retained shed off, instead of taking pics.

if your worried about getting bitten when you first get him out you can always get a piece of cardboard and put that between his head and your hand until he is out and settled . thats how i started with my hatchy cos i was nervy to and the person who sold him to me said it was a simple way to get used to even the striking motion and not jump... although it was just me stressing as to this day i have never been bitten by him... love my spotted.. he is 3 and is eating fuzzie rats and has taken small baby quail

I handle mine once every couple of days. I did have to leave mine in the care of someone who didn't like handling her (but was happy to feed and clean the enclosure) for about 6 months and when I got back she was no different, but she is a very laid back snake.
You'll eventually get bitten, get used to it while they are small!

i can tell you that a snake can coil back & strike & bite you quicker than you can blink.. so you will be bitten & it will be all over before you can react...then youll wonder what you were worried about..lol. suck it up... one thing..dont handle while in shed, dont handle for 4-5 days after eating(untill the lump is gone).& that retained shed needs to come off, very bad spot to retain shed as your snake can lose its tail if it cuts off the circulation...

have a look at the size of his head and then think about how much it will actually hurt if he does bite you.......not much. The worst thing you can do is faf around when going to pick him up. Just reach in and do it or get yourself a hook and lift him up with that and then use your hands. It'll be fine.

Just handle it.
If you get bitten dont freak out and move your hand away.

When i started handling my water python literally held my arm with my other hand.
If you dont do this now he has a large potential to grow up VERY agrresive.
And a bite from a small snake is a lot different to a bite from a large snake hahaha

I often start handling my more aggressive snakes wearing leather gloves and that way if they bite, you can't feel it. Once you have them out for a bit and they've settled down, you can slip the gloves off. I'm not so worried about getting bitten cause I know it doesn't hurt when they are little but I don't want to get a fright and pull away and hurt the snake.

You can avoid getting bit by removing him from his enclosure with a hook then let him come up the hook to your hand himself. If he wants to bite then you really can't avoid it. Once you get your first bite you'll see it doesn't really hurt. Just don't struggle or try to remove him. Let him let go by himself. If you want to get him off quick then a splash of WARM water in the sink will do the trick.

Also take him out of his enclosure to feed in a separate bucket or or large container. That way he won't get used to the opening of his enclosure means to strike at the hand that feeds him.

As far as feed size goes either lean adult mice or similar sized weaner rat slightly wider than his widest point along his body every 10 - 14 days will do, if he's an adult, . You do want to see a lump after feeding but not so much that the skin is stretched with gaps between the scales. Just make sure they're thawed well. I've been thawing rodents in warm water for 5 years without problems. Also make sure his temps are right in the enclosure for him to be warm enough to feed.

That retained skin may be a result of that nice dry substrate in his enclosure. Give him a big water bowl to keep up humidity. To remove old retained skin, a luke warm bath for a few minutes will do the trick.

Good luck!

I was like you....felt very confident when I got him, but at home and having to do it myself....quite a different matter.....and I only had a little Stimmie. :) People laughed at me, but for awhile, I put cotton gloves on when I handled him, till I gained my confidence. It takes awhile to get to know them. Support his body and keep his head away from you....and yes you're right, don't touch him for about 3 days after he's fed or shed. It takes time to get used to being a carer when you don't have an experienced person with you all the time. I think a lot of newbies go through the same thing. Be patient with yourself......you'll be fine real soon. :)

Yeah, I always recommend gloves to new/ not very confident keepers, its alot safer for carer and snake if they should try to bite. I like to try to wean slowly to thinner gloves then finally to bare hands. But your pretty well guaranteed to get bitten at some point, so better to get it done early while their still small

Funkstaa - I would not even been concerned about handling that animal until you are positive it is feeding well and in good condition...

...the retained shed and fact that it was regurging indicates that something is not right - either with the snake or with your husbandry...

A poor shed can be an indication of stress or illness - and regurging is not a good thing either - I would not be stressing this guy out ANY further and would be concentrating on getting him back into good health first.

In relation to frequency of handling - mine get handled when a cage gets cleaned or an inquisitive guest who hasnt seen the snakes before comes around and wishes to hold one...thats all...

...and none of them bite...

I'm getting a jungle next week and I am sure I am going to get bitten, but that Is all part and parcel of the hobby, I will handle her every couple of days so hopfully when she gets older than 6 months she will calm down.

Heaps of good idea's thanks guys ...and just wanted to clarify it's a pic from when I first brought him home, the skin has been removed and I took him to Nev at pj pets in Emerald for a 'check-up' as I relised things weren't right when he was regurging and needed help with the skin that was stuck, Nev was awsome! ....
He's been wormed and had the works done and is in much better health now :)
His temperament is pretty good but I'm still learning his body language, as for when he's ready to shed I'm clueless - I know they get 'milky eyes' and their skin looks different but to me he always looks oily...has looked that way since I bought him so I'm winging it .
Keep any suggestions coming guys they're really helpful!

bpb02 - im glad you're ready to get bitten! haha!

Yes, their eyes go cloudy, and thn they clear up again... About 1-2? days before they shed. The skin usually also gets that cloudy look to it.

Can I suggest you start reading some of the threads on here so you can learn from others more experienced? Before I bought my first snake I spent months on here reading all I could. Also try getting one of those "Keeping (whatever) snakes" by Darren Green- VERY educational.

Yeh David as long as it isn't I spawn of Satan I think I can handle but if she gets to a yr old and won't calm down I'll have to sell her. Or if she colours up nicely I'll just make her a nice display enclosure and leave her be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back