New coastal carpet python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well i tried to norrow it down a bit.. unlike just 'coastal' that was your guess.. any type/local or are you just sticking to 'coastal' as a safe bet? it was just a guess because the owner does not seem to know..

I do know what it is , ITS A COASTAL, no cross, no jungle just a coastal.

ok results are in.. 3 ppl say its a coastal.., 6 say jungle..,2 say woma.., 1 for a keelback..., well that norrows it down a bit....lol...:lol::lol:....good for a laugh...:shock:

ok ok now im really confused...

i feed akasha a fuzzy mouse (approx 2wks old - eyes not yet open) approx once every 5 days. ive read in books/articles etc not to feed an article of food that is more than 3 times the size of the snake's head..

these fuzzy mice ARE approx 3 times the size of Akasha'a head, and sometimes i think that they are too big for her... and your'e saying i should step up to rats??? ***? Im happy to start breeding rats, but have been advised that i dont need to for a least another year.

at 13months old, she's less than 80cm..
1_Judypix08650-001.jpg

Akasha81 - I feed based on weight. For juveniles, I feed them 10% of their body weight every 7 days and the adults get 10% of their body weight every 2 - 3 weeks. I have never had a yearling Coastal that was more than a metre in length and these food amounts have been recommended to me by a highly experienced / regarded reptile vet.

Dont worry about the size of your girl, she looks in good condition. The only downside to having a smaller animal is it will take longer for her to get to breeding size (an extra season, or maybe two). The downside to overfeeding and having a larger animal are long term health issues and a shorter lifespan (related to obesity).

Just as a side note, it can be very difficult to tell an obese snake, as they store their fat under the muscle (unlike people, who store it under the skin).

Hi Akasha81,
love your coastal, it looks like my male - same age and looks to be the same size.
he's on 2-3 week old rats.
mine is small compaied to my female coastal and my murray darling(all the same age) but im not too worried as he is still very healthy and will grow in time.

Thanks Zoltag for your very good advice... You sound as tho you've been keeping herps for a lot of years..

Im not so much worried about Akasha's size, but more scratching my head as to how a 13mth old male python can be 1.5metres, which is more than double the length of my lil girl..

what I now want to do is buy a set of scales that I can use for everything: my snake, mice and rats, hatchlings (when/if i decide to breed), my 2 new beardies, etc..

does anyone have any recommendations for digital scales, and where to get them?

and you've all convinced me to start breeding rats.. lol.. will only feed akasha newborn pinkie rats for now tho..

oh and its gonna bring back some stinky memories, haha!! bloody rats!!!

Thanks Zoltag for your very good advice... You sound as tho you've been keeping herps for a lot of years..

Im not so much worried about Akasha's size, but more scratching my head as to how a 13mth old male python can be 1.5metres, which is more than double the length of my lil girl..

what I now want to do is buy a set of scales that I can use for everything: my snake, mice and rats, hatchlings (when/if i decide to breed), my 2 new beardies, etc..

does anyone have any recommendations for digital scales, and where to get them?

Not really, I'm just careful to make sure I get good advice and generally dont give advice unless I am certain of what I am saying ;)

It is possible to get a python to grow really quickly, but the only time I have seen it happen with my own eyes, the owner was feeding them every two to three days. They have since decided to stop keeping herps and sold their entire collection (I think they had them for about 18 months, all up).

heres a pic of my coastal female, shes 14months old and looks very similar to urs

Attachments

• Image016.jpg
    Image016.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 52
  • Image018.jpg
    Image018.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 61
here is a pic of a 18month old coastal i bought a while back, breeder underfed the snake hence the small size.

Attachments

• DSC03131.JPG
    DSC03131.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back