Lifting the ban on Exotics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Namn8r

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is anyone on this forum actively involved in negotiations to have the ban on exotics regulated or lifted?

Have any proposals been made for the import of same sex only (ie Males) or sterilised specimens?

If it was properly regulated and stock was chipped, and sterile this would reduce the environmentaly impact should stock escape.

Im sure with the amount of captive bred stock overseas these days imported stock could easily be screened and quarantined to ensure only healthy animals be imported as well.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are ..A...a healthy retic alls good .....but then a thread reads HELP!!! my retic has escaped what should I do ? ....
whilst you say sterilisation ..maybe so ...but that dont stop that big fella having an impact on our wildlife now ...if you could guarentee ,that it would only ever feed on our ferrel animals and leave out native alone ...then yeah maybe I'd give it a thought ...but while human error is a possibility ..I am glad our laws are as tough as they are for now ..although dont get me wrong ,there are some exotics out there that I would love to have too ;)

Obviously species will have to be regulated. Some species such as Retics & burmese would probably be considered noxious and not allowed at all but that still leaves many highly desirable species that would have little environmental impact if any if properly regulated.

Consider also the cost factor of all of this. Sterilisation (desexing), Chipping, special licenses etc.. this would drive the prices of the animals up there and most likely restrict them to the serious hobbyist which also in turn would also reduce the likely hood of "help my .... has escaped"

It won't happen.
I have seen first hand how many exotic species already noxious in our wild.
Rescuers are often finding corns, boas & red eared sliders etc. For that reason the authorities will never allow it
(just as they are often grey listing fish species these days)

This will never happen!!. People should be happy with the stunning animals we have here in Australia

Exotics are nothing but a pain it Australia's butt!. You only have to open your eyes to know this

Obviously species will have to be regulated. Some species such as Retics & burmese would probably be considered noxious and not allowed at all but that still leaves many highly desirable species that would have little environmental impact if any if properly regulated.
And these species are?

Consider also the cost factor of all of this. Sterilisation (desexing), Chipping, special licenses etc.. this would drive the prices of the animals up there and most likely restrict them to the serious hobbyist which also in turn would also reduce the likely hood of "help my .... has escaped"
And this would stop smuggling and the Illegal keeping of reptiles how?

Maybe you should just wait a couple of years, After the forthcoming catastrophic global event that will shift all the land mass of earth into a new Gondwana. Maybe that was a movie I watched??? At any rate, they are both as likely to happen.

i would love some reps but at the end of the day IF and i really doubt it when i say IF such reps were aloud think how many greedy people would just want to breed them and "try" make money off it i really dont want exotics to be legal as LEWY said " People should be happy with the stunning animals we have here in Australia" we have some of the most amazing rep you could ever think of why spoil it? REALLY

Personally I agree with being content with the reptiles we have in Australia. We have such a MASSIVE amount of reptiles here, honestly this is one of the best places to live if you like your reptiles. We have enough problems with feral animals without bringing any more in! And despite people's best efforts, it'll only be a matter of when these animals escape into the wild.

This will never happen!!. People should be happy with the stunning animals we have here in Australia

Exotics are nothing but a pain it Australia's butt!. You only have to open your eyes to know this
yup i agree 100% , if u want an exotic then move to a diffrent country . our natives are battling as is, without the help of more exotics .

so many species that have been introduced here just shouldnt be here,....lets hope they learned from previous mistakes and dont introduce any more potentially destructive animals.

we have the most beautiful wildlife here anyway, why would we need anything else!? :)

its not only the espcapees, its also those twits that like a cute little baby snakey and once it gets big and unmanageable and they cant sell it they throw it in the bush at the back of their house,...

so thats like saying if you want to eat chinese food you have to move there.

wake up to your self............
lol chinese food and exotic wildlife are a little diffrent[ but i can understand if u cant tell the diffrence] . i have never herd of chinese food excaping and wreaking havoc on OUR native wildlife .

lol chinese food and exotic wildlife are a little diffrent[ but i can understand if u cant tell the diffrence] . i have never herd of chinese food excaping and wreaking havoc on OUR native wildlife .

Its a pretty clear cut arguement Zoo Exotics = chinese food??

I don't see why everyone is so hyped over exotics when we have all the best species here NATIVE to Australia?

My thoughts only but a restricted license system with a course involved would be the best situation. There would need to be breeding restrictions (preferably not bans) as some species can be produced in large numbers. These licensed people would be able to provide housing for exotics already here and then perhaps an amnesty (tried before) may work. This would need to be a national system and the license costs should include inspections.. If you provide a legal means to keep these animals then you reduce the number of illegal keepers. This system could also be used for other animals too reptiles aren't the only illegal animals brought into the country.
My thoughts only
Cheers

And I can't see hospitals start carrying vials of cobra, viper, etc AV for the exotic vens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back