Lifting the ban on Exotics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
in my mind there would have to be realy tough guide lines invloved and a extra licence
maybe costing 4-5 k a year and like a pool gate self locking door on the room they are kept in (escape proof dedicated room) maybe twice yearly checks to see the animals are being confined properly the high costs would deter most lazy epople how dose this sound? and also proof of animals death ie frozen till someone inspects

lol chinese food and exotic wildlife are a little diffrent[ but i can understand if u cant tell the diffrence] . i have never herd of chinese food excaping and wreaking havoc on OUR native wildlife .

Man thats a bit harsh don't you think? I completely agree with you but i think thats making it a bit personal?

Were I the gatekeeper I probably wouldn't open the doors to giant stuff like burmese, anacondas and retics, but there are other species that easily controlled and make great pets such as captive bred sulcata tortoises.

i'd love to have a burm, but i think we should accept that their ( exotics ) a threat to our native fauna therefor shall never be kept in collections ( legally ) in australia. :)
as for the rule breakers, they hopefully get whats coming to them.

I can't see it ever happening as much as I would love it, the world is full of 1000's of truly amazing spectacular reptiles that we will never have the privilege to own and work with. It will no doubt remain illegal and completely unregulated which seems to be working well.

One vote for YES - let's bring exotics in....

I'm still waiting on my 5 savannah cats that I was going to breed.

So if you're going to bring in your cold blooded friends of desire I'm going to bring in my warm blooded versions!

At least the escaped Burmese Pythons will help control the wild populations of savannah cats.

The main point of juncture really is - even zoos have (had) escaped animals that are never found.

Let's just continually think back to the 'toad', 'opuntia' and any other disasters from the very similar question you just asked.

I dont think the gov will ever allow it, as it stands now. They are pretty stub born on this and for them to bend their stance reptile keepers in general in Australia would have to be a very vocal group with very significant voting powers. Something that we are slowly getting there but in reality are quite some time away.

I can understand peoples desire on keeping or wanting to keep exotics. Some one told me its like....say the wildlife authorities only allowed native pythons to be kept legally. All those who want to keep pythons would be happy, and would be telling others just be happy with what we are allowed to keep. But all those not interested in pythons and wanting say bearded dragons or elapids would be up in arms wanting to be allowed to keep something different. The thing is every bodies interest in this hobby is different some things appeal to some people and not others. Just because you are happy with what we are allowed to keep that doesn't mean every one is and should just accept it. To those wanting legalized exotics I say good on you, keep up your fight and maybe one day you will get them.

If exotics were legalized, one problem I can see is if it was too regulated it wont encourage those with collections to transfer over to a new system. A system to be effective in minimizing illegal collections needs to be user friendly, make it too hard and no one will bother.

It is rare to read an exotics thread and not see the word chameleon in every second thread, lol. I know that if only certain pythons were allowed then so many chameleon lovers would go nuts, not to mention the gecko enthusists wanting to get their hands on tokays and new calladonians. There are too many reps in the world to limit the types you can keep without upsetting people. Then the upset people protest and get their way and more are let in, then the bar is set and others petition for more and on and on.
I think that there are so many aussie herps that are rarely kept and hard to geta hold of that we should focus on breeding our own species.

when chinese food can escape and out compete our native wild life then i will conceed the example is vaild but untill that happens i suggest you use a better one.

Lets not get personal here but lets be simple... who here owns a dingo? answer is probaably no one.. so lets ask, who here owns a cat? well to those that answered yes I am going to tag you an exotic lover!

I am sure you get the point I am trying to make...

The simple fact is many exotics are simply released as the owners have no way of moving them on when they go overseas/interstate/change in personal cirumstances as they are illegal and so can't exactly advertise in for sale threads etc..

I can understand the push for natives as we have lovely reptiles all 3000 species of them and I doubt anyone can really name more than 50 of them so why bring in more? fact licences still restrict even native reptiles being kept and fact people still keep these natives so why are 'exotics' being treated so different?

Hell cats, dogs and birds can be brought in from other countries why are they considered different when our feral cat population is growing and dog attacks are almost a weekly occurance??

All just my opinion.. Flame suit on...

I have not read all pages, but introducing more exotics is a stupid idea. And yes there is already exotics here, but why bring more, dont justify having excisting exotics as an excuse to import more. I ask you how many people already winge about cats ?

Fair point... why not hold an amnesty and then lagalise what is already here???

There is an easy solution , when imported they are to be desexed and fitted with a small explosive charge screwed to their skull . This pellet must be reset every week or pop , escaped reptile = fertilizer .

There is an easy solution , when imported they are to be desexed and fitted with a small explosive charge screwed to their skull . This pellet must be reset every week or pop , escaped reptile = fertilizer .

lol, could become expensive..:lol:

that could work quite well

I wonder how many threads we would find, titled oops i forgot to reset my snake again..:D

After all this country and the environment has been through dealing with and trying to eradicate exotic species the idea of the public being able to keep them is absurd, under any circumstance. Australians who love wildlife and the natural beauty of the country, who care about the future survival of native species and who have ever kept native animals (and care about them) would not even consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back