Bredi keeps playing in his water

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i am an experienced reptile keeper. i was just givin u advice from my experience. thats wat this site is about. i wouldn't give u any feed back that would risk the health of ur reptiles. there is nothin sayin that any 1 elses post r right either. sorry 4 givin u options.

i am an experienced reptile keeper. i was just givin u advice from my experience. thats wat this site is about. i wouldn't give u any feed back that would risk the health of ur reptiles. there is nothin sayin that any 1 elses post r right either. sorry 4 givin u options.

Sorry but your advise reeks of inexperience, What everyone apart from yourself has said about mite sprays is correct.

bones8 there is no need to be sorry for giving me options. I took the options on board google searched like you told me to do and came up with answers. I then posted the answers as they were written so that you could see what I found. The google search simply confirmed what everyone else was saying and that is that not to treat with mite spray if he didn't have mites and well he doesn't. You can never had to much knowledge and you learn everyday no matter how long or what sort of animal you own. And I totally agree this site is for getting advice from EXPERIENCED keepers, breeders, careers and that is why I posted my post in the first place. So that I could get help and advice from those that know.
Cheers all

yer mate, was that 1 week or 2 weeks experience? just admit your wrong & learn something, it sounds like yourve got your head in the sand, just because you keep saying your right doesnt mean you are, did you notice no-one agree's with you..

ur google search didnt end up that well then, cos top of descent is the best known & quickest way of killing mites in reptiles. actually BEEMAN i've done the research so it doesn't mean what other people sayin bout mites is correct.

TATT2TONY u obviously not reading properly. I didnt say i was right. I said it could hav mites not has got mites & that if it does that top of descent is the best way that i hav found & heard of in treating mites in reptiles, cos it is the most effective & has no known harm towards humans or reptiles.1 product i hav been referring 2 not any other form of mite spray or insectiside.

it was top of decent that made my snake sick, im done with this thread, you know nothing & cant be told...

if u read this tatt2tony it was probably the mites that made ur snake not shed properly & not eat, considering they r symptoms from mites that hav been on a snake 4 a while

Let it go bones your just fishing for bites,there is nothing constructive in your comments so theres no use stiring the pot..

if u read this tatt2tony it was probably the mites that made ur snake not shed properly & not eat, considering they r symptoms from mites that hav been on a snake 4 a while
omg..lol the snake HAD NO MITES, it was BAD advice from an unexperienced keeper like yourself..

My 2 cents.Do not use any chemicals on your reptiles UNLESS it is absolutely necessary.

Snakes soak if they have mites,they also soak for a dozen other reasons and it does not necessarily mean there is a problem.

As far as bredli go a bowl big enough to soak in is not really needed as they are a snake that comes from an arid region.Besides how many keepers of adult carpets of any type supply bowls large enough for them to lay in?

cwtiger, dont listen to the people saying you have mites.
Snakes DO like to swim.

yes snakes like a soak or two.but when they submerge their heads its usually a sign of mites.you see when a snake soaks in his bowl all the mites tend to go for the eyes and nostrils,hence the bredl keeping its head submerged.the guy was looking for advice on why his bredl kept its head under water.so telling him to ignore people saying it could be mites aint very constuctive,especially when you havent personally inspected his snake.if the guy takes your advice and his bredl does have mites then its not too nice for the bredl.give your snake a warm bath mate then clean round its eyes and nostrils with a cotton bud,you will soon spot mites if their there.they are tiny little black things.you will see them moving or if you crush them you'll see them squish like bugs on a windscreen.hope things go well for your bredl mate.all i'm trying to say is it dont take long to rule out mites,if it dont have them,great.but if it does and you ignore it it aint very good for the bredl.
cheers shaun

my boa lived in his water bowl for 8 days not long after i first got him. then came down one morning to find him all shiny and new looking with his shed hanging over his log and through his hides. He fed every week, twice more often than not and generally passed said food (large mice, rat pups, rabbit pups, day/ two day chicks) around 3-5 weeks later.... you always smelt it before you saw it...

Ok Thankyou all for your information Bredli past his food last night. He is now not going anywhere near his water. I inspected him and the water once again for mites and can see no signs of them. I cotton bud his face and nothing. So looks like on this occasion it was he needed a poo, is getting ready to shed or just wanted to play in his water.

constipation

you would most likely have found mites by now if you had them.sounds like a touch of constipation.if it does it again try putting it in a warm bath.if you get a poo when you bath it then maybe it suffers from a little constipation.there are some quite simle methods you can use to sort it out.
cheers shaun

I find somewhat amusing that the so called " EXPERIENCED" keepers on here are so quick to assume that they know the experiene levelof other members on this site. There is nothing in any of your profiles that leads me to believe that any of you are more exerienced than bones. After 25 years of keeping and breeding an exensive range of reptiles, both privately and professionally, I am still amazed at how much I dont know about keeping reptiles.
The only person who is clearly inexperienced on this site is the thread starter otherwise they would not have asked this question in the first place.
Firstly bredliis are an arid species and as such do not require high er levels of humidity. Telling a very inexperinced person that they do can lead to health problems. The animal should be perfecly fine with just a drinking bowl.
Secondly if a snake is continually trying to submerge itself nine times out of ten it will have mites. Snakes are aware that they have mites long before even the most experienced keeper ( let alone a novice ) will discover the problem.
Early instar mites will cause snakes to soak and are almost invisble to the observer, as such if this person did have mites they would more than likely have no idea ( even if they were looking for BLACK PEPPER ).
Bones advice is sound. They animal is only acting this way because it has a stressor. It is highly unlikely that TOD will harm a bredlii in any way, and considering that this person would not have a clue if the animal has mites or not the best course of action is to seek advice( which they have done) and then play the odds.
In short Get off your high horses!!!!!

glad you took the right advice cwtiger.
all my snakes soak and swim, just about every time i give them fresh water. Been doing it since i got them years ago and still no sign on mites... People love jumping to conclusions, glad you were able to sieve through the unnecessary info. Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back