Lifting the ban on Exotics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that their should be something done about exotics... Not for importation, but for the ones already here kept and bred by reptile enthusiasts.

If anything I think DECC should have atleast a ballot to identify who has what or atleast what species of exotics are here in Oz. I think a lot of ppl on thus forum would be shocked at the outcome.

It is fine to say it won't happen, but they are here so lets focus on that.

There's my 5 cents worth for a Saturday night. Happy herping

History has already done this, except it was a bunch of sugar cane farmers who nagged to have cane toads imported to control some pesky bugs.
What could go wrong? Seriously, theyre only a few hundred toads....

Asking to import more foreign species' just sounds like "Please mommy, gimme one more chance, it wont happen this time, i promise!!"

History has already done this, except it was a bunch of sugar cane farmers who nagged to have cane toads imported to control some pesky bugs.
What could go wrong? Seriously, theyre only a few hundred toads....

Asking to import more foreign species' just sounds like "Please mommy, gimme one more chance, it wont happen this time, i promise!!"

Best post yet..

Well, it's just like how being homosexual was illegal in Australia but since so many people were being gay anyway, they decided to make it legal... so many people smoke weed in America these days that they have started de-criminalising it. It's a case of majority over law. People lose 'legal' pets all the time in Australia... What about when someone's pet reptile from northern queensland in the rainforest escapes out into somewhere into the dry areas of NSW? It is no different to someone losing their desexed Corn Snake out into their garden or pet chameleon out their window which manages to get out into the bushlands of Australia :) Another point, Each exotic pet could be microchipped as well and if someone found someone's exotic pet out in the wild they would call some kind of wildlife service if they were smart and it can be returned to it's owner. If they took it to the vet or rang the RSPCA, the officer would notice it's an exotic animal straight away and send it to the corresponding authority for exotic wildlife where it can be returned to it's owner. There are currently quite alot of exotic species of reptiles kept in Australia as is... why not make some kind of compromise to making someone a criminal for keeping an animal they found out about as a kid or on the internet that they love so much they will break the law to keep it?
I just think Australia is a bit of a sour puss towards laws... No R Rated games allowed... No exotic animals... I think making them all one sex or desexing them first is a great compromise. It wouldn't have much of an effect on the environment anyway if done correctly...

FYI, i don't own any exotic animals... I may be in favour of them becoming legal, but they are still illegal in Australia.

By the way guys there are a few people with exhibitors licenses that are getting burms and stuff legally so if you really want them it can be done.

Well, it's just like how being homosexual was illegal in Australia but since so many people were being gay anyway, they decided to make it legal... so many people smoke weed in America these days that they have started de-criminalising it. It's a case of majority over law. People lose 'legal' pets all the time in Australia... What about when someone's pet reptile from northern queensland in the rainforest escapes out into somewhere into the dry areas of NSW? It is no different to someone losing their desexed Corn Snake out into their garden or pet chameleon out their window which manages to get out into the bushlands of Australia :) Another point, Each exotic pet could be microchipped as well and if someone found someone's exotic pet out in the wild they would call some kind of wildlife service if they were smart and it can be returned to it's owner. If they took it to the vet or rang the RSPCA, the officer would notice it's an exotic animal straight away and send it to the corresponding authority for exotic wildlife where it can be returned to it's owner. There are currently quite alot of exotic species of reptiles kept in Australia as is... why not make some kind of compromise to making someone a criminal for keeping an animal they found out about as a kid or on the internet that they love so much they will break the law to keep it?
I just think Australia is a bit of a sour puss towards laws... No R Rated games allowed... No exotic animals... I think making them all one sex or desexing them first is a great compromise. It wouldn't have much of an effect on the environment anyway if done correctly...

FYI, i don't own any exotic animals... I may be in favour of them becoming legal, but they are still illegal in Australia.

If done correctly, im sure you have noticed all the escaped snakes thread recently, surely this shows it wouldn't work.
People need to stop thinking of them selfs and think more about the big picture, protecting biodiversity. I think the brown tree snake situation in guam, and the exotic problems in america should be evidence enough that exotics shouldn't be introduced.

If I had known people wouldnt actually read the thread first I wouldnt have bothered posting...

Why do exotics get smuggled in? Because we dont have them here and the grass is always greener on the otherside.. .. Black market exotics will probably never go away. There will always be the trade at some level whether be great or small.

My thoughts on allowing regulated importation of sterile, same sex animals would probably reduce the demand for Black market specimans.

If animals are properly regulated and chipped they can be monitored by means of yearly scans etc, any escapees and the owner can receive a hefty fine which can then help fund the regulation of the animals.

Consider that illegal exotics are already here and some are already presently escaping and establishing wild populations, if we allowed legal sterile animals into the country and if sterile males escaped, they would infact compete for mating rights with other wild exotic males therefore slowing down the growth of existing populations.

Im trying to offer potential solutions so please stick to the topic and only post if you have something constructive to say, Im not really interested in hearing exotics versus natives.

If I had known people wouldnt actually read the thread first I wouldnt have bothered posting...

Why do exotics get smuggled in? Because we dont have them here and the grass is always greener on the otherside.. .. Black market exotics will probably never go away. There will always be the trade at some level whether be great or small.

My thoughts on allowing regulated importation of sterile, same sex animals would probably reduce the demand for Black market specimans.

If animals are properly regulated and chipped they can be monitored by means of yearly scans etc, any escapees and the owner can receive a hefty fine which can then help fund the regulation of the animals.

Consider that illegal exotics are already here and some are already presently escaping and establishing wild populations, if we allowed legal sterile animals into the country and if sterile males escaped, they would infact compete for mating rights with other wild exotic males therefore slowing down the growth of existing populations.

Im trying to offer potential solutions so please stick to the topic and only post if you have something constructive to say, Im not really interested in hearing exotics versus natives.

Namn8r you opened a thread and posed your thoughts on a subject where your going to get varied strong responses from people so live with the responses positive of negative. In the end it won't happen biosecurity is the main focus of the epa on the current laws and no matter how much anyone tries the government doesn't want to risk another cane toad theasco even if the risk is perceived as minimal.

why are some people allowed to keep non native green tree python from png? do they have special permission or licences? what other png snake are available to keep? white lips?

I'm not particularly for or against, however I am curious to know if all the people who are saying it would destroy our wildlife and biodiversity keep local specific animals to where they are or do they themselves keep exotics (maybe not exotics to australia) to the area that they live? If so why wouldnt you want exotics if your already taking the chance of destroying your local wildlife?

Exotics run the risk of becoming a pest and carrying diesese.
Release of native captive breed animals can pollute pure wild life stock.

The problem with this idea is that keepers still wouldn't be happy because they wouldn't be able to breed them so there would still be a large demand for black market specimens, as you said the grass is always greener;)

now that ive caught time to read the thread, and had time to comprehend what has been stated, if you want exotics, go somewhere else :p except bring in the white lips, thats all i want *whsitle*

you know what.....the system is a joke i wouldn't
be surprised if they did make up some sort of exotic
keeping license...png greens are a good example...
they were over whelmed with them so they caved.
imo they should have treated them like any other
exotic and only let Aussie natives in. they basically encouraged smuggling.

i could think of so many reasons why the system is a joke....its funny :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back