Dino's First Dinner with us

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakateur

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Dino had his first dinner with us tonight, the process took about 4 minutes and was absolutely mad to watch.

Attachments

• IMG_6511.jpg
    IMG_6511.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6512.jpg
    IMG_6512.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6514.jpg
    IMG_6514.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6515.jpg
    IMG_6515.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6517.jpg
    IMG_6517.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 54
I am by no means an expert am a newbie myself (to smakes,owned a beardie for quite a few years)but I would worry about the substrate it is ingesting with that food.
:?

more pics

Attachments

• IMG_6518.jpg
    IMG_6518.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6519.jpg
    IMG_6519.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6521.jpg
    IMG_6521.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6522.jpg
    IMG_6522.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6524.jpg
    IMG_6524.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 46
I am by no means an expert am a newbie myself (to smakes,owned a beardie for quite a few years)but I would worry about the substrate it is ingesting with that food.
:?

I was told by the pet shop reptile expert, that it is crushed wallnut shells and will not harm him.

Okay I was looking at that thinking it was little pebbles or something

Wouldn't recommend it. Paper is by far the best substrate to use as some snakes can take in the substrate and get constipation.

Nice snake but I don't think ground up walnut shell with its food would be any good for it. I did a bit of part time work in a place which polished quantities of small pieces of brass and copper. They used ground walnut shell in a cement mixer because of its hardness and jagged edges to polish the metal.

I have seen aquarium gravel, bark chip, aspen bedding or similar brand, breeders choice or similar brand recycled paper pellets and paper just to name a few. I think the reptile expert at the petshop was more expert at taking your money.

I have over twenty pythons and I find the easiest is to use paper towel for the hatchlings (in click clack containers) and butchers or newspaper for the older snakes (in enclosures). Very easy to just roll up when soiled, throw it, then spot clean with weak F10 solution and a paper towel wipe out between full cage cleans.

Hope this helps.

Octane

nice

thats a nice hypo bredl you have there.if you want peace of mind at feeding time just take him out and feed him in a seperate tub with no substrate in it.once he's fed pop him back in his tank,problem solved.i have never used crushed walnuts,has it got any hard sharp edges to it.that would be my main woory,sharp edges causing nicks and cuts.
cheers shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back