Fake Grass?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marty68

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just bought some fake grass to put inside our spotted pythons house, the question I have is, Is what do we need to clean it in? Would disinfectant and hot water be enough?
Thanks in advance

you could do that, put you will get sick of it and it will be hard to do

I haveit in two lizard enclosures... I pull it out and hose it off once a week to clean it... beats using an organic substrate and looks a hell of a lot better than news paper

I always give mine a bit of a scrub, put it in the bath with some bleach and leave it overnight. It does get a bit annoying to do that, but the grass looks much better than newspaper.

i use this i was it down with water and spray it with f10 after every poop they do. im to scared to bleach it incase it goes white.

I use it in several enclosures and once a week give them a hose down and scrub,then hang em on the line to dry. Looks heaps better than newspaper

I take it outside and high pressure clean it, put on some disenfectant and high pressure clean it off and let it dry. It's not really that big a job do do, I have 3 vivs i do it to and it takes about 5 mins or so.

Andrew

I have thought about using this as an option.

Is there a "SPECIFIC" Reptile grass that must be used and ie "purchased from a reptile store"
for an inflated price no doubt.

Or can you use synthetic grass bought from somewhere like a pool shop or Clarke Rubber.

I have heard of the reptigrass but never seen it so I guess what im really asking is there any difference??

Such as non toxic etc??

hmmm this is a good idea, yes it looks better than newspaper and i spose its a substitute to the real ground habitat. I might check this out

firstly get a block of wood with some nails through it and put drainage holes throughout the mat..then newspaper under that,they will charge you an extra $50 mtr for drainage grass...unreal.. i have 3 peices cut for the enclosure so if ones dirty i can just replace and wash.and no any fake grass will do.

firstly get a block of wood with some nails through it and put drainage holes throughout the mat..then newspaper under that,they will charge you an extra $50 mtr for drainage grass...unreal.. i have 3 peices cut for the enclosure so if ones dirty i can just replace and wash.and no any fake grass will do.

Cool. Thanks again dude.

I heard that the Synthetic grass they use on say Indoor Cricket pitches and around pool areas etc was made out of shredded rubber, prdominantly old car tyres which was then coloured, so thats why I thought it might be dangerous to the reptiles but if thats not the case then I might go for it.

I also like your ides of having a couple of pieces and just swapping em out, ya know as simple as that is I hadnt thought of it as an option.

And sorry to sound ignorant but im a newbie, whats the benefit of putting holes in it??

Also I have heard advice that grass matts can trap and breed bacteria, but id guess thats the point of the weekly clean.

if they do wee or spill water etc instead of sitting on the grass going gross it will leak through and be absorbed by the newspaper beneath,then replace and hose off the old one.its easy to keep clean imo 8)

Okies.

Just getting an idea and Visual of it.

So say 2 layers of paper then the grass on top and a once weelky hose off of the grass, swap out if have a second piece of grass, clean paper back in with the grass and whalla

Bob's your uncle......

Unless his name's Phil.

astroturf is good to use if you dont have heaps of enclosures as you can cut mutiple sheets for each cage and everytime one gets dirty replace it with a new one while the old one is hosed off and even sprayed with disinfectant then hung up to dry on the line until you need it again, i currently use "old news" which is exactly like "breeders choice" only cheeper it is a peleted recycled news paper it is much better then the plain paper i used to use and is easy to clean and replace bald spots that you have scooped also keeps ***** off the botem and corners of the enclosure unlike plain newspaper

Yeah im thinking on getting a decent square of Astroturf and docking it up into 2 or 3 peices and going with that ontop of some paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back