Anyone else's heat lamps keep blowing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karly

Reaction score
My last one was only about a month old when it blew. It could be because we live in an old house and the electrics aren't all that great...

Any alternatives that anyone could suggest?

Mine seem to blow quite a lot but where I normally buy them will replace them within 3 months if they blow.

Are you using a thermostat? I've heard the on/off type ones are hard on lamps and that the dimming ones are better.

what thermostat are you using?

i use exo terra infra redds and they last me 12 months+ on dimming stats

I have also heard that it's better not to touch the lamps with your fingers ie; use a cloth to handle them.....something about the oils on your skin.
We haven't been doing this long enough to know if it helps, but I figure it can't hurt.

also have your wiring checked, that may be the cause for constantly blowing bulbs.

ive been told by experienced friends that its sometimes just chance with heat bulbs. you can get one and itll last you ten months, whereas you buy another one same type brand, itll last you a week. lucky dip :D i still prefer them over heat matts though.

I had the same problem and started to use ceramic heat emitters 12 months ago. They are a little more expensive to purchase but have not had a problem with them. So cheaper in the long run

i use 150watt spot light globes from big w and have had the same one for 12mths on an on off thermostat, i just time it to stay on for 4hrs a day at 32 degrees, in winter it just stays on for all those hours, in summer it just comes on when its a cold day as its always warm.

I had the same problem, and went to a ceramic, and all is good so far.. someone also suggested using a power board or something with a RCD or surge protector built into it.. I havent had to yet though..

Thanks for the advice guys. I think it might just be our wiring, its a pretty old house but we're buying our own place soon so hopefully won't have to put up with it for much longer!

So the ceramic ones are worth it? I looked at them at the pet shop today but didn't really know enough about them so thought I would do a bit of research before I tried one out.
Do they put out as much heat as the globes? My mertens and sandy like it HOT HOT HOT!

i use the purple lights for heating now. i have found that for some reason, my red globes were blowing constantly, almost every month or less. i have had my purple in all my tanks for about 3 months now with not one blowing. i also use just an on/off thermostat.

i was told by someone to use a surge protector on the powerpoints for the globes (ceramic or normal) and for me this has help heaps. was going through the red ones almost fortnightly. i also use a on/off thermo

I'm using a ceramic globe. I got it second ahnd 2 yrs ago and it hasn't blown, and it lets off ALOT of heat. My hand brushed against it lightly and i still have the mark from over a year ago. cages for sure, or you get BBQ snakey.

Thanks guys! :D

Looks like I'm going out to buy a surge protector and ceramic globe....

I had the same problem, and went to a ceramic, and all is good so far.. someone also suggested using a power board or something with a RCD or surge protector built into it.. I havent had to yet though..

RCD's are deigned to stop you from getting ashed. Won't do a thing to stop a globe from blowing.
They keep tabs on current in versus out. If they are not the same "Leaked on earth" (ie through your kid when it sticks your keys in the power point) it will throw the breaker.

A surge protector on the other hand may help you...

QLD's power supply isn't the most consistent so that may be part of your problem but i would check your wiring on the socket, thermostat & power point (i mean you should get a sparky to check it).

I also have a number of ceramic heat emitters still going strong after 2 years.

I used to blow a few ,until i got the dimming thermostats havent had a problem since then im happy to say 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back