New to the Forum, Newbie Help :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Python_Player

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and to pretty much the entire reptile world :)... I've wanted a snake for a long time and last night it struck me to finally apply for my license (which was pretty instant online). So now i've been doing alot of reading and am very keen to purchase my first Python. I would like to get quite a young one so it can grow with my surroundings and get used to me handling it.

If anyone could throw me some tips on snake care, good books, enclosure reccomendations for hatchling or even juvenile pythons, and anything else i may need to know, that would be great (particulaly enclosures size, and heating etc, got a little confusing for me after a while haha). Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance,
~Mitch~

Hi Mitch,

Welcome to APS.

If you wanting to start off with a hatchy then you will only need a click clack (small plastic tub), a heat mat, a small water dish and a hide (which can be a commercially bought one or just a small box).

What type of snake do you think you want. Small of the smaller breeds are great to start with such as Childrens Spotted or Stimson Pythons. A great little book is 'Keeping Children's Pythons by Greg Fyfe & Darren Green. This will give you all the information you need.

When you first buy your snake, have the click clack all set up and just put the snake in there and leave it for about a week. It will be tempting to get it out earlier but they really need time to settle in. After a week you can start handling your new snake and can offer it it's first feed, usually a pinky mouse when they are small (new born mouse). Never feed live as they can often do a lot of damage to your snake and it's illegal.

There are some great breeders on this forum and I can personally recommend 'Ad' as he's fantastic to deal with and he has some great snakes.

Check this thread out...

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...-to-build-a-click-clack-dial-up-warning-93266

Cheers,

Julie

Hey m8 welcome to APS,imuo for a first snake i would get a juvenile,then its an established feeder,had a shed or 2 and you can do the work from there on.my advice on information is troll this website..it has everything you need to know. good luck and show us ya pics when you get him 8).

Firstly, welcome to APS :)

Books -
If you are wanting a python from the Antaresia group, a book called
'Keeping Children's Pythons' by Greg Fyfe & Darren Green would be helpful.
Alternatively, if you are interested in Carpets - 'Keeping Carpet Pythons' by Simon Kortlang & Darren Green.

Or you could just do what I did, and get both :D
I picked them up off Ebay for about $12.00 each

Another one is 'Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons' which is probably the bible :) It costs around $55.00

Applying for your licence first was a great idea.
My only other advice would be - don't buy your python from a pet shop.
When you decide what you want, there are some good breeders here on APS who will be able to help you out.

Research, see what you like, then research more to find out what housing (size), heating etc it needs, make sure you can accomodate it and go from there. And enjoy!

Then start thinking about what your next snake will be ;)

I also have Keeping Carpet Pythons by Simon Kortlang & Darren Green, and those are great little books, especially for beginners! Carifies all the ridiculous advice you get from people who have no idea! ;) Im fairly new to keeping reptiles too! I wanted a snake for ages, and after a handling course I had to do for work, I got my licence and straight into it. I only have one Carpet Python and she is lovely! She has such a personality! She's very friendly and even a little bit ditzy! :D Ive had her since she was a baby, and I did have to upgrade her enclosure after the first year. They get quite big and want room to move about. Be prepared to spend money!

I agree with Schizmz, id get a juvenile so that you know they are already eating and shedding normally, and havnt got any problems. Trust me, they're still young enough to get to know you and get used to handling.

Good Luck!

My 2cents : Don't worry if you don't have the coin to spend the money on the books, remember the library is a great resource for getting information.

Some books I highly recommend are :

1. Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons
  2. The Care Of Reptiles and Amphibians In Captivity
  3. The Complete Encyclopedia of Terrarium
These will give you some good information, but there is nothing like talking to experienced keepers. After you have learnt alot of information, you start to filter the good from the bad,

Cheers

Thanks for the tips so far guys n gals :)... so far im looking at a few snakes... murray darling is quite appealing or stimsons python are nice too. Spotted childrens is also on the list :)....thats what i've narrowed it down to so far. I'll take a look at my local library see what books they have to offer. What age does a snake reach to be considered juvenile? seems like it may be the way to go and if there are a few reputable breeders im sure they will treat the hatchlings with the appropriate care

I would suggest finding your local Herpetology group, not only for information, but access to breeders you can trust

yeah will do have a look at that. I was discussing with a friend and im leaning towards a stimson's python... i want a good looking snake and from a few pics on the net they seem to look quite nice

i reckon go bigger. =P i thought i was gonna get a small snake first but i shouldve went bigger. but its up to you really. haha.

perfect. haha. don't get too big, they love a little more heat then say spotteds or carpets. desert species. mine grew pretty fast. hatched 26.11.09 30cm and 46grams. now she she's 86cm 328grams. they grow fast. but a very calm snake not like my spotted. lol i can pick her up without hooks just make sure your hand don't smell like a rat.

wow what a size increase haha... i think ill be going with a Stimson's Python...but i know i might want something that grows bigger... just in the process of finding a nice enclosure :)

wow what a size increase haha... i think ill be going with a Stimson's Python... just in the process of finding a nice enclosure :)
that's good mate. yeah just go with what you like. haha. =) you'll be happy either way!

nice choice and its a nice snake too... i got 2 coastals and i love em, dont see em alot during the day, but i have found mine to be really good handlers, even my hatchie has only accidently bitten me when i was feeding him, alot of ppl warned me that they can be snappy but i think i got lucky. my first was already 2 years old when i got her and she weighs 503g and comes in at about 5 feet ;)

awesome! :) yeah haha every time i turn the light on and go near it pops itself inside its hide box. i dont know if its a male or female so i guess ill have to take it to the vet to find out?
mine seems to be quite docile, its time for her to feed yet she doesn't seem like she is interested in taking any snaps *so far anyway :)* but will leave her alone til it gets fed and for a couple days after :). thats a nice size, im pretty happy with my choice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back