Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeluvver2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone think that some species of snakes are more active than others?
Which ones? I find that my GTS and water python are all over the place compared to my morelia's.

Going even further is there some carpets more active than others

it depends on what time you are around and watching them i guess. my GTS is often asleep within an hour or so of me getting home, which is when my jungle carpet comes out to play. i know he doesnt move at all during most days though.

yer i knew that :p
hahaha thats why i keep the GTS so i can watch it at day and the rest at night :p
i meant regardless of them being dinural or nocturnal

Well I'm new to jungles but my little girl doesn't ever hide she is out 24/7 even though she has 3 hides in a click clack. But she is a angry girl drew blood 3 times while I was changing the water tonight

My woma is only active 4-6 days after a feed

My Bredli sleeps all day under the piece of fake turf he has in his enclosure, then comes out within 5 minutes of me turning his lights off,

my olive and spotted would be my most active they are usually always out, my diamonds come out for a bit in the mornings and than cruise around at night, my darwins hide alot, especially one i rarely see him unless its feeding day, the bredli come and go some days there out others they hide

My Darwin sleeps all day out in the open and as soon as his enclosure is dark enough he is out and about cruising most of the night. My coastal sleeps most of the day in her hide, but in the open end where she can see out if she wants, and comes out about 4.30ish each day for a cruise around for an hour or so then goes back to her hide untill it gets dark and then she comes out again about 9 for her nightly exercise and my coastal hatchie is out and about on and off all day, but i think he is looking for a bigger enclosure (currently in a 7l click clack)

Morelia sp. seem to be a little more sedentary from observation, where adults will be particularly active on occasional warm nights, otherwise spend days and nights curled up. Olives on the other hand are very active when healthy and have plently of room, spending far more time moving around.

my coastals sleep all day unless its food time and very active at nite when we are all sleeping....I have trouble sleeping some nites so I watch my snakes til I fall asleep.... Very calming watching them slither around

Elapids and colubrids (with the exception of adders) are much more active than pythons. Diurnal species are much more interesting to watch as they go in search of food and move around whilst we are awake. In my experience my Morelia are fairly boring and mostly just wait in ambush instead of moving about, Liasis seem to become active late afternoon and cruise around for the majority of the night. My BHP's are by far my most active pythons and move around a fair bit throughout the day, forage late afternoon and into the night. All in all pythons are pretty boring 'pets' though..

My little diamond girl is the most active snake I have. She moves around alot at night (unless she has just been fed) and sometimes during the day too.
My BHP is a lazy thing, he moves between his hides and basking area during the day, and occasionally will get restless and pace his cage at night. But if he can avoid doing much of anything he will.

Yep, I'd have to second Mattsnake on the elapids and colubrids, both amazing species to keep and watch!

Well I'm new to jungles but my little girl doesn't ever hide she is out 24/7 even though she has 3 hides in a click clack. But she is a angry girl drew blood 3 times while I was changing the water tonight

Well i definitely think my next snake needs to be a Jungle... i dont really feel like a snake owner as i havent even come close to being bitten :( Havent even been struck at :(

yer i knew that :p
hahaha thats why i keep the GTS so i can watch it at day and the rest at night :p
i meant regardless of them being dinural or nocturnal

Ohhhh.. my bad.
well in that case, yea my jungle is quite active compared to other carpets i have seen.
i also thought water pythons were more lazy and sedentary than others, same goes for GTP's. always found diamonds to be more active slightly. but i dont often sit around in the dark at other peoples houses to keep an eye on their noctournals.

Oh and blondie, if you want to get bitten, going jungle juvies is a good way to go about it, or you could go to have a look at someone elses and just stick your hand in there with a darwin or jungle or water python or an anteresia, all of those hatchies seem to be way more likely to be snappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back