japanese quails

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They will breed all year round if kept in a climate controlled shed situation, Once the temp gets over 28dg C the fertility and egg production drops off and its the same on the other end of the scale with the cold
There is a Game bird breeder ration available from several manufacturers i would suggest
you try and find it as its a proper balanced ration for breeding birds.

Thats interesting beeman I have a friend who lives around the corner from me who has also breed quails for a living and he swears by chick starter, he did mention sometimes he adds some extra kind of meal for extra protien but when i was keeping and breeding I never had a problem with them laying so didn't bother.

Can we get some pics of the birds?

eggs!!!

hey i got sone eggs. I dont know how long they been there. I might try slap an incubator together tonight with a esky. Do i put the eggs in a container like snake eggs?? Any instructions please?
What temp?

Last edited:
I'm still learning myself, but the info worked for me.

I was told to incubate them for 18 days at 37.5 degrees celcius. Turn 180 degrees at least twice a day. On the 15th day stop turning and wait for them to hatch.

We also read that humidity should be around 70%.

It was our first time incubating anything and the temps and humidity kept fluctuating heaps but they still hatched :)

We didn't bother with a tub we just dumped them in the incubator lol

I made an incubator with a styro box, a urs heat mat inside the box. thermostat and water container. I candled the 6 eggs i could see red in 3 of them. they have probably been left in the cage for a couple of nights.
thanks for the temps, i couldn't find them anywhere.
i'll give them a couple of days, then candle them again. The eggs felt cold when i picked them out of the cage. It will be a miricle if they hatch. I poked some holes in the box for ventilation.

Pictures of my Improvisation incubation device i just made. I wish i collected the eggs earlier I dont know how long thay sat in the cage. last night was pretty cool. what do ya's think.

I added a container with vermiculite on top of stainless steel screen that is ontop of a water bowl that is ontop of the heat mat. the fan is abit of an over kill cause it cools the box down. Its a heater fan but i dont put the heat on. might melt the box. Im still checking temps. How important is it to get those eggs straight into the container?

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 41
looks ok i guess never incubated quail eggs with verm before but hey you never know so your going to turn them manually a few times a day?

Yep. I wanted vermiculite to stop them rolling around. I put hot water in the vermiculite. Only a bit. Might be crazy enough to work. If i turn that heater fan on they'll be cooking. its like a blow drier. the coil might get wet but. Dont want to wreck my fan.
I'll check for eggs every day now. I wasnt even going to check them but my neice wanted me to.
I got two beer cartons full of grass in there now. I'll save up for a hoverbator. Better get a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back