Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solar 17

There are a lot of younger people on this forum and others ALWAYS taking swipes at people similar to myself who are making "big bucks" selling greens and other top end snakes well l could name you folks who continually say "they are only in it for the money" well come on show me someone who is making big money out of snakes / reptiles every year l spend a [deleted] load of money with a lot of suppliers for top of the range equipment and enclosures, my last bill with one supplier came to just over a $1000.00 on one order alone and then because l sell a couple of greens l am in it for the bucks...l do know of a couple of people who have in the past done ok but but those days are gone and in most cases people put out big dollars to do it.....well l say good on them no shame here but....those days have just about gone......l believe a lot of you who say "they are making big bucks people" are just green with envy and want to put minimal and get maximum out and sit on the internet hiding behind a screen throwing mud....well heres your chance.....cheers solar 17 [Baden]

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well said, I am a person who has said alot of breeders are in to make a quick buck but have never mentioned any names. This is why I buy off breeders who have been around a while and I no they have put the time and effort into getting the snakes in the best condition possible before trying to sell

Solar I know what your saying, I don't think everyone is trying to sell snakes just for the money you have to think enclosures and food and time and set ups and all that stuff, I am not a breeder but I know some breeders and they really don't make money at all and solar with your greens they are worth the money because they are well coloured and cared for snakes, guess some people are jealous of others... That's my two cents

I'm the same, I still get people scoffing at paying $800-ea for superstriped coastals, yet they took me 3 generations and about 8 years of work to get to this point,

Also everyone wants top shelf from the start and no one seems prepared to buy cheaper animals and put in thier own effort to establish a line, for eg I have some great half striped coastals that would produce superstripes going cheap, but no one seems to want them, they all want the superstripes.

I have spent thousands on enclosures/food/electricity, but people dont see that.

I guess we have to get used to it as some people are just a bit slow and dont understand.

LOL
j

There are a lot of younger people on this forum and others ALWAYS taking swipes at people similar to myself who are making "big bucks" selling greens and other top end snakes well l could name you folks who continually say "they are only in it for the money" well come on show me someone who is making big money out of snakes / reptiles every year l spend a [deleted] load of money with a lot of suppliers for top of the range equipment and enclosures, my last bill with one supplier came to just over a $1000.00 on one order alone and then because l sell a couple of greens l am in it for the bucks...l do know of a couple of people who have in the past done ok but but those days are gone and in most cases people put out big dollars to do it.....well l say good on them no shame here but....those days have just about gone......l believe a lot of you who say "they are making big bucks people" are just green with envy and want to put minimal and get maximum out and sit on the internet hiding behind a screen throwing mud....well heres your chance.....cheers solar 17 [Baden]

Sounds like a coverup for someone who's in it for the money ;)

i personaly enquired about a superstripe through zobo and although i didn't buy it as i refuse to pay that sort of money for a coastal but i have the up most respect for zobo and the time, money & efforts he has put into getting his line where it is today (imo the best coastal stripes in OZ). I couldn't believe the price when he told me but hey good luck to him if people are willing to pay that much for superstripe coastals, selling them at this price will still not cover his cost IMO. would prefer to see what i can breed for myself with my own animals.

Imo there is not alot of money to be made in the high end aussie herp market at the moment as prices on most species have plummeted however our hobby is growing at a rapid rate and there seems to be quite a lot of interest in the cheaper species. If all these young hobbiests head in the direction i have they will soon also be after some of the high end species. Herping is an expensive hobby at the best of times, even though i build all my own melamine enclosures etc etc i would hate to work out how much i have invested in my herp room in equipment alone, not to mention the costs involved in setting up a purpose built shed to breed rats so i can feed my ever growing collection.

just my 2 cents.

I agree Baden, though at the end of it all (and I've said this before) there only words typed out from people with tunnel vision. So good on you and others who make enough money to be able to put it back into something they love.

Big Bucks

I think people come to this conclusion for 2 reasons. The first ( as already pointed out ) they are jelouse. The second and more important is that these people are completely ignorant to the costs assosiated with keeping a large collection.
Of course there are some people ( such as large scale producers of GTPS ) that are driven purely by greed, but this is good as in a relatively short period of time the animals become readily enough available that almost any one can afford one.
Most keepers of large collections are consumed by passion ( a quality that is now a rarity amongst new age reptile keepers). The sheer logistics involved with keeping a large collection in both time and money forces us to breed and sell animals to make our obsession possible.

Imo there is not alot of money to be made in the high end aussie herp market at the moment as prices on most species have plummeted however our hobby is growing at a rapid rate and there seems to be quite a lot of interest in the cheaper species.

just my 2 cents.

I think you'd be surprised at how much money gets thrown around when the right animals present themselves for sale. Theres a lot of money out there!!!

Why do people care if breeders make money off their reptiles? As long as the animals are looked after, no one should have an issue with it. If you enjoy your job, does that mean you should work for free? Breeders should'nt have to waste their time defending how much/little money they make.

Solar is right there is a lot of knockers on this forum about everything especially when a newbie asks advice about their first snake....ps Solar your snakes are stunning and i still want your Orangie red bredli....want to sell it yet? Or breeding it????

i understand there is big big money for very select & rare morphs, but your everyday high end snakes like GTP's, Albinos etc etc are not fetching the prices they previously were.

Dedication can be misinterpered

While we are discussing money I will put in my 2 bobs worth.

If solar 17 ever covers costs for initial outlays and is lucky enough to "make" a few dollars extra, that is entirely his business.
We have here a man totally devoted to his animals, their comfort, diet and living conditions are his main interest
and when they breed well and produce beautiful healthy exceptional babies ....that is his reward
I know this man cares and give back to the hobby far more than he recieves including appreciation for his input

Argue with me becoz you won't win all you "knockers" because of people like solar 17 there are healthy decent animals available for you to perhaps be lucky enough to own. Enjoy the experience of meeting one of the true dedicated herpetologists left today

Cheers
Sandee :)

Title should spell: misinterperated... (apologisies)

If solar 17 ever covers costs for initial outlays and is lucky enough to "make" a few dollars extra, that is entirely his business.
We have here a man totally devoted to his animals, their comfort, diet and living conditions are his main interest
and when they breed well and produce beautiful healthy exceptional babies ....that is his reward
I know this man cares and give back to the hobby far more than he recieves including appreciation for his input

Argue with me becoz you won't win all you "knockers" because of people like solar 17 there are healthy decent animals available for you to perhaps be lucky enough to own. Enjoy the experience of meeting one of the true dedicated herpetologists left today

Cheers

Very well said!!! :D:D:D
I would love to buy solar17's orange/red bredli as well.

Dedication can be misinterpered

I know this man cares and gives back to the hobby far more than he recieves including appreciation for his input

Argue with me .... you won't win all you "knockers".... it is because of people like solar 17 that there are healthy decent animals available for you to perhaps be lucky enough to own. Enjoy the experience of meeting one of the true dedicated herpetologists left today

Cheers

tell them

how maypeople ring u for advice

IM 1 OF THEM

Hey baden,

I think its the nature of the beast, I know when I was starting out I knocked a few people and I take full ownership of my stupidity for that, its not easy to look after lots of hatchies and these days compared to a few years ago trying to earn money out of this industry is really not worth the effort, my advise to anyone thinking of earning money is invest your time and energy in your job or a new job your more likely to get a good return.

Yep I agree, 100% of keepers have no interest in making money, it is all for the love of the animals.
Those like Tim Mensforth & Roy Pails that opened shops didn't do it for profit, they did it to house a larger collection for their own passion. The shopfronts are just a venue to cover their costs come feeding time each week :lol:

While I can agree that we (myself included) are not "in it just for the money", the money sure is a great bonus and one that I personally like to have each year if I can. Why not be proud to try & make money from your love and hobby?. Anyone that says they would be happy just covering costs then I will give you the cost of food for the year for your albino Olive, because I know you didn't spend anywhere near 10k on rodents/chicken/rabbit. I will even pay retail cost for it's parents enclosures & any of their medical bills for the last 5 years lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back