Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunny

Reaction score
Like it says i went bush for a few days also saw some bts and keelbacks and some stimsons but didnt get photos. photos are of the biggest blind snake ive ever seen, mertins i think, was 1.5 at least and bright yellow the photo doesnt show it but we were quite suprised at the colour. the photo with the purple flowers is where we found the mertins. and last photo i would like identified please. also we saw at least 6 blue tongues and a frilly.
one of the worst outings yet but still saw alot of wildlife.

Attachments

• blind snake 001.jpg
    blind snake 001.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 245
  • blind snake 007.jpg
    blind snake 007.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 185
  • blind snake 123.jpg
    blind snake 123.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 302
  • blind snake 125.jpg
    blind snake 125.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 192
  • blind snake 138.jpg
    blind snake 138.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 253
Given the colour, size, and the habitat it is found in I would say the monitor is a Yellow Spotted Monitor Varanus panoptes and not a Sand Monitor

thanks mate i dont know my monitors very well the tail looked pretty flat was a very healthy very bright and fiery critter anyway.

They all look alike to the untrained eye. I saw what i believe was a rusty monitor up a tree were i live. Its not as brightly coloured as the one in a 'complete guide to reptiles' but thats what i think it was. Couldn't shake him down. he would have made a nice pet. only joking thats cruel.
Nice to see the toads havn't wiped them out.

The frog was found near kuranda

In that case it is likely to be Cogger's Barred Frog (Mixophyes coggeri). M. coggeri has a mottled band down the dorsal surface while the other two species up in FNQ have a continuous band. Thats a nice looking V. panoptes too.

Nice pictures mate. The monitor is definatly Varanus panoptes and I'm not positive but I think the snake is a Black Whip Snake.

Good finds. That blind snake was a big one.

Regards,
David

the last one the greater black whip Demansia papuanus

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back