feeding hatchys

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
depends on whether it's eaten yet or not. if it hasn't shed and eaten, it will be surviving off it's yolk. depends on the snake as to how long that will be, but can be up to 4 or so months. it'll be pretty skinny by then, but 1 month isn't a big deal. tonnes of hatchies don't eat til their second or third month

thanks for that perkele its coz my scrubby hatchy is my first hatchy and my other snakes were a bit older and were already feeding well .so i was curious to how long they can go .mine is a month old and i was told it had eaten but has not eaten for me yet .

my latest coastal didn't take it's first feed til it was nearly 4 months old, and even then it was a struggle. it's eating fine now though.

you shud be ok for a couple of months!
Try force feeding lol not the best thing to do but if your worried give it a go!
i force fed my now 2yo MD as a hatchie untill she was about 6 months!
now she takes any thing!

It is sad that a breeder would sell and a newbie buy, a snake without any established feeding record. Breeders conditions are generally better to keep snakes than those of a newbie, and so that with experiece is likely to result in a better outcome for the snake. Once a snake has had say 4-5 feeds it has enough body weight to cope with the stresses of moving to a new home, but the sucess of moving them after one feed is going to be far less. With so many snakes available for sale, why do buyers go for the non established babies which, often bring with them hours of frustration and worry that can untimately end up in starvation?

It is sad that a breeder would sell and a newbie buy, a snake without any established feeding record. Breeders conditions are generally better to keep snakes than those of a newbie, and so that with experiece is likely to result in a better outcome for the snake. Once a snake has had say 4-5 feeds it has enough body weight to cope with the stresses of moving to a new home, but the sucess of moving them after one feed is going to be far less. With so many snakes available for sale, why do buyers go for the non established babies which, often bring with them hours of frustration and worry that can untimately end up in starvation?

I agree, We never let out an animal that doesnt have a well recorded feeding history. This has stood by us as the animals go to thier new homes well adjusted and settle in a lot better and there are no new keeper problems.

Dazza74 you need to go back to the breeder and ask how the animal was set up, how the food item was presented and mimic this, Then hopefully it may start to eat for you!

With so many snakes available for sale, why do buyers go for the non established babies which, often bring with them hours of frustration and worry that can untimately end up in starvation?
I am guessing its because of a few things , maybe a non established feeder is cheaper ?.Inexperianced buyers who just dont know the diffrence , or breeders who just want to get rid of the snakes ?. Mind u theres noting wrong with that providing they tell the buyer what the GO is with the snake .

I am guessing its because of a few things , maybe a non established feeder is cheaper ?.Inexperianced buyers who just dont know the diffrence , or breeders who just want to get rid of the snakes ?. Mind u theres noting wrong with that providing they tell the buyer what the GO is with the snake .

Legally there may be nothing wrong but morrelly may sellers take advantage of new buyers inexperience and supply animals that are not suited to the ne facilities.

Being a scrubby you shouldn't have any trouble getting it to eat... Unless there is a underling problem
Hatchling Scrubby's don't like to be watched when eating.. They are very nervous eaters.. Who did you get him off?? you can PM me if you like
If you'd of got it from me you wouldent be in that position ;)

Im waiting still on my swcp hatchie, the guy im buying from wont let them go till feeding well, and hes happy it will be a smooth as possible transition for a newbie like my self , he has let me view them at feeding time,on a few occassions .im glad im buying from a responsible person,cant wait though:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back