Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southside Morelia

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just thought, i'd share a funny experience the other day and ask who else has done reptile shows or talks to kids...
I did a reptile show at my kids school for the Kindergarten kids which my Daughter is a member of last Thursday before break up before school holidays. The theme was, the kids were learning the letter P that week and pythons were a good topic and the teacher friend knew I was into the snake scene and asked for a special visit.
So I go into the school auditorium with 3 kindy classes and start the show. I bring along the most placid animals I have, adult prossy carpet, GTP, BHP, Diamond and a little diamond hatchy....no jungles of course.;)
My Daughter helped me which was a beautiful experience, as there was this little kid holding adult snakes much bigger than her which made her feel quite special...lol She has been around snakes since birth so not an issue for her at all.
I educated the kiddies on snake awareness in the bush and explained all about each specie and their habitat and what they eat etc.
The FUNNIEST thing was at question time...the stories from the boys were hilarious, they all tried to out do each other saying that they have snakes THIS BIG arms stretched out as far as they can go behind their backs hanging around in their houses and backyards, all more unbelievable and better than the last story....priceless!
One Teacher said I want questions to ask not stories and this one kid puts up his hand and says...."I kiss snakes". I cracked up inside and looked at the teacher I know who was holding back her laughter and I replied..."yuck you don't kiss snakes" in a funny voice The kids all laughed as I am immature and know how to relate to small kids :D....The same kid after another 10 questions by others says " What happens if you kiss snakes" remembering my reply before. I replied "you have to be careful as they will bite you".....after another lot of questions by others, the same kid says " can I kiss the snake", looking at the BHP I was holding at the time...I lost it....this kid was an absolute crackup with kisses on his mind...he was a kissing machine, LMAO
There was plenty of funny questions and I had a ball, there was one kid who said to me when I said yes matey what's your question, he says "Tyson stole my pencil at lunch and didn't give it back"....the kid dobbed on his mate to me in front of all the kindy kids...I said "i'll talk with Tyson after the show, but that's not a question about pythons"!
I was looking at the Teachers trying not to burst into laughter, so were they. Kids that age are adorable and so innocent, shame they grow up!
Anyone have funny experiences like that to share, i'm sure Jonno and others do???
Cheers Guys. :lol:

Last edited:
haha that sounded wonderful! Must of been really good for them to learn about pythons!
It was a really funny experience and an experience even better because my Daughter was there to help me!!
I took some shed skins to show the kids and had a heap of broken up shed skins as well, which I handed out so the kids could take home as a little present...
Which reminds me.
One kid in question time put his hand up, Teacher asks him what's your question?....he replies"can I put his skin in the bin" lol :lol::lol: GOLD

G'day mate,

My tolerance of small children is minimal at best, so we don't do schools, birthday parties or any of that other stuff. We strictly stick to 'older' clientele, especially industrial customers. However, we still get the same silly questions...

My partners mum is an art teachers aid and her school did a week on Pythons for art. At the end of the week, I was asked to come in with two my Coastals, for the kids to draw.

They had a ball. We had four art classes and one period of going around a heap of classes for the teachers and really little kids to meet them. Didnt get any stupid questions, just a lot of round eyes and the fingers! My god, there were fingers everywhere!

Well done haha, i would of been happy as too! Good to see young tackers not affaid of snakes

haha pity in WA u need ours licenses wont let us do this:(

Jonno, I guess as a Profession it would be different...

For me it's an off shoot of my hobby and a great opportunity to share an experience with the kids that have never seen a snake before!

Hopefully they will grow up to respect their environment and the creatures that inhabit it....which I did talk about with reference to the GTP's etc.
I'm sure that many of us have changed the normal persons perception of reptiles and especially snakes...I cannot count how many people I have got to touch a snake, that they initially thought they were slimy ugly creatures, before actually touching one. These are the people that hit them with shovels.......
I love this stuff, I have many friends who have friends of theirs that I don't know, asking me "Scott I know this person who wants to come and see the snakes". Which I am happy to oblige! Education about our reptiles is essential IMO and something I am passionate about, as you are Jonno to teach the uneducated about....BUT hey it's not my day job, i'll leave that to you, but kids are the future, don't forget that!!
I'm sure Jonno you must laugh at the questions from the ill informed adults as well.... :lol:

Well done haha, i would of been happy as too! Good to see young tackers not affaid of snakes

haha pity in WA u need ours licenses wont let us do this:(

Another moment, there was a set of twins, a boy and a girl... when the time was that all kids lined up to touch a snake (my super placid BHP) they stood in line and when it was their turn, they walked up holding hands for support, so scared and had to touch my big girl together....LOL was a special thing to see a set of twins touching a snake for the first time together!!! they did it although scared and did it together...which was pretty cool to see, i'm sure that both of them will remember that moment together forever!

Last edited:
Another moment, there was a set of twins, a boy and a girl... when the time was that all kids lined up to touch a snake (my super placid BHP) they stood in line and when it was their turn, they walked up holding hands for support, so scared and had to touch my big girl together....LOL was a special thing to see a set of twins touching a snake for the first time together!!! they did it although scared and did it together...which was pretty cool to see, i'm sure that both of them will remember that moment together forever!

Well done Southside Morelia, it's great to see people getting out and teaching the younger generation about pythons, at least when they grow up, they won't be afraid of them and may keep this great industry going. I remember taking my 6ft coastal to my kids school aswell as my baby bredli at the time and the kids thought it was fantastic.

Well done Southside Morelia, it's great to see people getting out and teaching the younger generation about pythons, at least when they grow up, they won't be afraid of them and may keep this great industry going. I remember taking my 6ft coastal to my kids school aswell as my baby bredli at the time and the kids thought it was fantastic.

Thanks Chrissy...I made the kids reherse a "Aaaahhhh" before I showed them the hatchy Diamond, so when I showed them them they all said "Aaaahhh" crack up!!!

haha, I was asked to bring some of my stick insects into a pre school. Constant screaming, especialy when one of them flew away from me.

My kids teacher asked if i could bring a python in for show and tell,but i had this vision.. of prying one off some kids face and then the following law suit :shock:..and figured i might pass on that opportunity.But also i dont think im even allowed to by law?..im only licenced lvl 1.. so yer am i?:?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back