Captive Water Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guzzo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how big Water Pythons get in captivity. I have seen some wild ones a bit over two meters but I am sure they get bigger than that. Any Pics would be good. Also I hear as a rule they are a snappy snake, is this true?

We have one here that is about 2.5 metres, but that's pretty big. Average adult size is about 2 metres.

I've got a 2 year old female that is just about at the 2 metre mark so I'd say she's still got a bit of growing to do yet. She is also puppy dog tame and will not bite (unless you are food) so no they are not always snappy snakes.

Sorry can't help with the length, mines 2-3 months old and a bit over 1/2 metre, but the lady I bought her off uses one of her water pythons for educational shows, it has never bitten anyone. Kids get photos taken with it.

Jonno do you know if there is a size difference between animals from QLD, NT and WA?

We have 5 adults, two of which are wild caught from the NT. Only one is a biter, and it's a captive bred QLD one. The wild caught girl is a touchy feeder, but she does OK as long as she is left alone.

Well sounds great....any down sides?

They have a different odour to other pythons and I've also found them to be a bit messier, ie. they will happily crap in their hides.

All the hatchies I've seen are quite snappy but they calm down as they get older. Mine are cage defensive but fine once hooked out. Very good feeders usually.

im with tsubakai mine is just cage defensive but she has settled down alot which i am happy with i fed her today and then cleaned water bowl after she didn't even bother to try and get me :)

Ive got a couple of 7ft waters.They're fine to handle as long as they know there's no food to be had.But the 2 smaller ones Ive got (6&4 ft) you need a hook.They strike food at a alarming rate and are very strong,Quite impressive :)

had mine for bout 2 and a half years she is about a meter and a bit. she is a bit snappy and feeding time but regular handling settles them down. also been told that the NT species tends to be a little more snappy then the QLD species but i dont know the true to that

Last edited:
I have two water pythons. I am sure one of them would feel quite at home in the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. She attempts to kill anything that moves. On the other hand my male is one of the sweetest snakes I own (except if there is food anywhere nearby). I guess it really comes down to the individual snake.

Even if the majority of water pythons out there are a little bitey, don't let that put you off. They are beautiful animals.

Mine are still fairly young so I can't give you any help with adult size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back