Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mangrove monitors ( v.indicus) grow to 1.5m. I don't have any experience with these monitors but from what I have heard they are not the easiest monitor to keep.

I would agree with Nalege that ackies would be a good monitor to start with.

Mangroves are a very bad choice for a first monitor; they are extremely flighty, easily stressed animals that have quite specific requirements which if not met, lead to immediate decline in their health.

Of the dwarf monitor species, Gillens, Ackies and even Storrs are great choices. Only get a larger monitor if you're willing to commit a great deal of space, time and effort to the animal.

Regards,
Trent.

Most larger monitors ( 3 foot and over) would require large outdoor pits/aviaries (2Mx4M at a minimum) or room sized enclosures inside, if local weather conditions are not amenable, and heating to boot in a relatively short space of time (2 years). I'd agree with Varanus 1 and go an Ackie or Gillens as a first monitor. They still have a monitor attitude, but in a much more managable package (a colony of Gillens can be kept in a 4 footx 2 foot enclosure and doesn't take as much to heat or feed). A Gillen's feeding response won't be as damaging (or require hospitalisation) as one of our larger species if anything goes bums-up!

Hope this helps,

I.V.

V.Giganteus gets to 1.7m
V.Gouldii gets to 1.2m
V.Mertensi gets to 1m
V.Panoptes gets to 1.5m
V.Rosenbergi gets to 1.2m
V.Varius gets to 1.5m

Hope that helps...

i have a 4 year old son and want it to be rather freindly hows they're disposition?

Let me first say that this is not my photo, but rather one that "crocdoc" posted on another forum. I think it gives a pretty good indication of why large varanids and children don't mix well:

105979386.jpg

4 year old and any monitor over 1 metre in length is a very bad idea. You'll probably need to make a choice between going smaller or keeping your child well away from the monitor. Even very small monitors can sometimes give a nasty bite to an adult (scalaris are famous for this) and four year olds have delicate little fingers.

Hope you don't mind me posting that photograph of yours, crocdoc. As they say, a photo speaks a thousand words.

i have about 30 small/med. monitors over about 10 species.. how much i am enjoying this thread... am learning so much...being a squib by nature, i don,t ever handle them. scared of being bitten.....use 2 aquarium nets together

What's the point in keeping monitors if you dont handle them? 4 year olds dont mix with any reptile IMO, unless being supervised constantly by an adult. But if you were going to get something to have around a little kid, I wouldn't be getting a monitor, I'd go for something like a bluey or a beardie or a childrens.

What's the point in keeping monitors if you dont handle them?
Looking at them.. their amazing behaviour while moving through their environment. Their inquisitive natures and merciless hunting skills.. there are 100s of reasons to own a monitor, and I wouldn't put handling them on that list.

Looking at them.. their amazing behaviour while moving through their environment. Their inquisitive natures and merciless hunting skills.. there are 100s of reasons to own a monitor, and I wouldn't put handling them on that list.

Agreed.

What's the point in keeping monitors if you dont handle them?

Isn't that just the same as saying "whats the point in keeping elapids if you don't handle them? Not having a go at you at all but there are SO many other reasons to keep monitors (and other reptiles) besides handling them, personally a lot of my animals don't even get touched unless I have to take them out for cleaning....I keep reptiles because I have a very strong passion for them and can never get enough of just watching them go about their daily business! :D

twenty b i would definitely agree with you there. my sandies are much more active than my pythons(atleast during the day) and my whole family gets enjoyment out of sitting and watching them run around or climb up the rocks and logs and go to 'recharge' under the basking light.

Because no reptile keepers have children do they :rolleyes:. I have a rather large collection of pythons and involve my son as much as i can. He is kept from the larger agressive/defencive pythons but he is always involved in cleaning. I even take him herping. He has caught and handled jungles longer than himself and i have photos of him next to 2 to 3m wild scrubbys he even jumped on and caught a water dragon at erwins zoo. He loves reptiles as much if not more than i do and has probably been tagged more than me also.
This been said i always asses the risk and if i feel its dangerous he sits out for that one.
The monitor is not going to be a house pet i just dont want something with a bad attitude thats goin to try eat him.
How long does a monitor take to get to adult size im guessing 2 to 3 years?

if it's your first time keeping monitors, and you're concerned about your son's involvement, isn't that 2 fairly strong arguments to getting a small-size monitor to start with, so you find your feet as a monitor-owner, and upsize as your son grows, too?

Mate, a larger monitor and a large python are 2 very different worlds, even a small monitor can scratch the crap out of you without even trying.
my ackies are tame as, but thier claws are amazingly sharp.
but it took them 18months min to calm down, and a bite from a small monitor like an ackie is pain even an adult doesn't want to experience. trust me.

so, by all means, get a monitor, but bear in mind the bigger they get, the more potential for harm there is, even if it is unintentional.
i always recomend a pair of Gillens monitorsin 4x2 as the ideal 1st monitors, but ackies are also just as good.
even little monitors have big sharp claws.

Mate, a larger monitor and a large python are 2 very different worlds, even a small monitor can scratch the crap out of you without even trying.
my ackies are tame as, but thier claws are amazingly sharp.
but it took them 18months min to calm down, and a bite from a small monitor like an ackie is pain even an adult doesn't want to experience. trust me.

so, by all means, get a monitor, but bear in mind the bigger they get, the more potential for harm there is, even if it is unintentional.
i always recomend a pair of Gillens monitorsin 4x2 as the ideal 1st monitors, but ackies are also just as good.
even little monitors have big sharp claws.

i have to agree about the claws when i had to shift my mangroves from a temp cage to there new home, they did a fair bit of damage to my hand and thats just there claws. my sandy is pretty tame and i can hold him with out a problem but even when it was young its claws were unbelievably sharp.

I am going to take the advice recieved and start with an ackie and see how i go.
I am taken with those Indicus though so might get one next year.

Thanks all.

I think that's a great step to take. Smaller monitors have the same attitude and personality as large monitors, anyway.

When you do get the indicus, I'd still advise you to keep a 'hands off' policy with your son once the monitor reaches adult size, at least until he's a few years older. There's been a lot of mention of claws, but it's the teeth that will do the most damage. No comparison with a python bite - a good bite from an adult indicus can cause permanent damage to tiny hands. Yes, many of us do have children around and I practice what I preach - handling of a hatchling is okay, no one goes near the adults. I breed lace monitors and my breeding pair are about as tame as this species gets, but monitors have a feeding response to be reckoned with and a bite from an adult male lacie could remove fingers from an adult human so I'd hate to see what would happen to a small child's hand. indicus are a bit smaller, but have similarly sharp teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back