How to warn others?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spongebob

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

No this is not a 'shame and blame' post but rather I would like to start a sensible discussion on how to warn fellow members about the 'dodgie ones'. Fortunately this is a rare occurance but when a number of people have had the same experience from the same person shouldn't there be some way of warning others?

There was a thread about a week ago that I contributed to. Like most of these it seems to have vanished. Generally this occurs because individuals get named. So I would like to get a discussion going and able to progress the issue.

Is it possible to develop reasonable protocols/processes? I'd be interested to hear others experiences without naming and ideas about how to manage this issue.

Bob

it's to varied for opinion..example..your snake doesnt show.. hes not ringing back..you paid but you can't contact him...now i got a snake.. it arrived.. it was a perfect transaction and i was pleased...is this man being "dogie"..?..would it not be impromptu to name this man while others are having no problem..?.. dont get me wrong i wish there was a "feedback" section or something but it just wouldnt work.

I think the only way is to start a thread with as much details about the villain without naming him/her and then disperse his /her name through PM.
However, there is a good chance that someone will jump in, post the name and the mods will delete the thread.

It would be awesome if it could be a Feedback rating system like Ebay. Then both parties can explain their positions while also rating Positive, neutral or negative. There would need to be a time frame in place though to prevent people hastily leaving negative feedback. Like if leaving positive - no time limit, if leaving neutral or negative must be at least say 3 months from day of payment or something like that.

As i know NOTHING about computer programming etc I have no idea if this is even possible in a forum such as this but, as a newbie, I would LOVE to know if people have had any issues with any sellers, esp when freight is involved.

I mean would it be possible for there to be a section where a prospective buyer could post the name of their intended supplier and then invite PM's with relevant feedback?!? Just thinking out loud!

every single time you go through with a deal and hand cash over you are taking a risk . and with any deal things can go wrong .. eg dont turn up seller never sends them , are not what you expected , in bad health ect . and if you dont prepare yourself for this or the worst your going to get burnt or let down sooner or later .. so what i do for a sugestion is just do a bit of research on the person your dealing with , and get all the details off them. address, home phone, then type it into google earth and make sure the address is not for a vacant block for example . find there house on google earth then ask them what there house looks like . and then say to yourself if everything is adding up put cash in there bank . then if they still rip you off ..you say to yourself am i prepared to get in my car with a few of my mates and go make a house call even if its on the otherside of the country to take care of bussiness . and if so , do the deal . and if not but still want to take a risk make sure you can cop the loss ... dont worry about the rest of the world just look after yourself and your mates before i hand over any cash i let a few of my friends know the deal and also ask if they know who im dealing with and if they have had any problems . i dont feel that APS is a good place to get the accurate truth on a deal that may or may not of gone wrong .things get very twisted ive noticed in wake of a even better story, it is funny but does not help the cause ..

Having an ebay style feedback system would be a way forward. Unfortuately as things currently stand this site can be used and abused without anyway of the community being enlightened.

If there was an 'Ebay' like feedback system what's stopping "The Dodgy One" from making a new account ???

I was actually speaking with someone from aps today about perhaps adopting the "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" type of feedback and perhaps some pre arranged comments eg. totally happy with seller,seller was a pleasure to do business with and on the *****ide eg. seller made my purchase dissapointing...etc etc but by making them pre arranged the possibility of the lynch mob going to town is minimal....and if anyone wishes to discuss negitive feedback it can then be down through private message...i am not saying this is perfect but at the moment i believe the lack of ability to log dissapointment with seller is a downside......i may have lost you but if not what do you think?

maybe if there was some sort of guidelines in place to adhere to when naming people it might work. ie put up a post without the persons name then pm the person in question alerting to the thread. If its not resolved within a couple of weeks then name and shame them??

My Sale Setup

As a seller l do a few things to avoid getting offside with interstate buyers 1st.inside and outside photos flash and non flash photos [4] all told ...2nd. l get the buyer to put the money over the counter into my bank or at least l highly encourage it and tell the purchaser to keep the reciept ...if you are doing it this way the teller can check and verify the account numbers 3rd. l offer to email my state licence which has my address on it plus l give them my home phone number [not a mobile] as l divert....last but not least when the critter is put on the plane l phone the consignment note number to the puchaser as the shipment can then be tracked by them on the internet or by phoning AAE. these proceedures have helped me over many years to have not one single complaint....cheers solar 17 [Baden].....ps one other proceedure l do is forward an approx. measurement and wieght of the critter...

When buying I ask for feedback from others. Now I have found a breeder I am happy with and I will only buy from him or people who he recommends. I also only hand over cash when I meet the breeder and can see what I am buying. Obviously this makes hard when buying interstate.

I think that they should be named.

and how would you be feeling if they started a thread about you , but you knew that the story was far from the truth . and you try to defend yourself . but the thread normally gos in the negative direction . now no-one wants to deal with you because some little turd had a chip on his shoulder..

it would be easier i feel to start a thread more like . does anyone have the contact details for such and such im trying to track him /her down they have droped off the earth . or does anyone have the details of the person that was selling such and such on a certain site ive lost there details . people i feel are to quick to run others down ..

lets be honest these sorts of threads are started for personal reasons to try get there own cash back or for fun ,or payback ,list gos on .....why people feel they are obligated to save all the herpers of the world is beyond me with these threads . but i must admit i love reading them , its a crack up ,everyone gets on the bandwagon the truth gets well and truely lost . ill be honest i dont care what happens on the other side of the world or if a bloke got killed for whatever reason unless it was my best friend . im sorry my heart aint that big . so i wont care if joe blow gets riped off . however if you start a thread like i mentioned i will pm you if i got some info .. nice arnt i ?

If there was an 'Ebay' like feedback system what's stopping "The Dodgy One" from making a new account ???
At least we would be able to tell who has a good reputation.
I think its an excellent idea.
I also think more people if they have has a good experience with someone should post a feedback thread.

Thanks Gex

Start a website, and everytime someone gets ripped off post them on the site with a description of the transaction. Then start a thread on all the forums directing members to the site. Next time someone has an issue they can email the site admin and get details posted there also. And so the cycle begins

When buying I ask for feedback from others.

In my case, it's hard to get any feedback from my buyers because most of GTP keepers prefer to live in recluse. It doesn't worry me, I just have to live with it.
So, please consider, there are many others in the same situation. Just because nobody comes forward saying "he is a great bloke to deal with" doesn't mean that he isn't.

At least we would be able to tell who has a good reputation.
I think its an excellent idea.
I also think more people if they have has a good experience with someone should post a feedback thread.

Thanks Gex
No Geckoman, you wouldn't be able to tell if someone had a good reputation or not. Sorry, let me amend that, you wouldn't be able to tell if they deserved that good reputation. I have seen so many people on this site give rave reviews to some of the dodgiest people you could ever come across. I've also seen breeders who would give you the shirt off their back get ripped to shreds by people who've lied their behinds off. Sorry, but I'm more of a fan of the "no rating at all" system. I just don't see the point in any sort of feedback on sites like this. Not when every rip off merchant is surrounded by a new batch of sycophants each breeding season................who of course replace the last year's batch that realised too late their new best buddy was a shonk.

I have bought animals (and enclosures) from people after receiving rave reviews about them from various people, and then received something that hasn't even looked like the pictures and was in horrible condition (even animals with diseases). So even after someone has plenty of positive feedback it doesnt always give a accurate representation of that person and their product.

shadow dragon ,is what your saying there is a bit of a boys club here with alot of back slaping and fist punching giving the rest of the community a false sence of security . no ,no how could that be ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back