Newbe

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

titan1

Reaction score
Hi

I am brand new to the joys of pet snakes and pick up my first Children Python tomorrow (taken me 5yrs to convince my hubby that we should get one!)... I am really keen on learning as much as I can from this site!! if you have any hints or tips please let me know..:lol:

cheers
Ang

Welcome to the addiction :)
If your childrens python doesn't eat for the first few weeks DON'T WORRY!

Welcome to the addiction :)
If your childrens python doesn't eat for the first few weeks DON'T WORRY!

Thanks for that.. I know I would have worried!!

Also does anyone have any tips on the heating/lighting in the enclosuer? I have a 4ft by 2ft and have a heat lamp in the right corner. I can only find/get a 50w heat lamp and have a thermostat set at 32 the issue is its going off within 5mins and staying off.. I am worried that its heating up to quickly and am concerned it wont get the light in the tank? does anyone know where I can get a 25w red heat lamp from? or any other suggestions?:?

Lots of herp items available through site sponsors.

You wont stop at one reptile.

You could read my Snake Commandments thread. . . and then do the oposite.

Congrats guys, exciting time! :D

A 4ft by 2ft enclosure MAY be too big for a baby to start with? Check with whoever you are purchasing from, if they sell it to you in a small tub, it could be better in there for a little while.

You may get away with putting it into your big enclosure if you provide plenty of places to hide.
Don't bother it to much for a week or two, minimise handling etc to give it time to settle in :)

Also does anyone have any tips on the heating/lighting in the enclosuer? I have a 4ft by 2ft and have a heat lamp in the right corner. I can only find/get a 50w heat lamp and have a thermostat set at 32 the issue is its going off within 5mins and staying off.. I am worried that its heating up to quickly and am concerned it wont get the light in the tank? does anyone know where I can get a 25w red heat lamp from? or any other suggestions?:?

hi and welcome to aps
how old is your childrens? if it is a hatchling it only needs a small container. mine is in a 10l sistema container from big w or coles and a heat mat under about a third of it connected to a dimming themostat which runs pretty well constant temp without turning on and off and she is quite happy in there. spot is 4 mths old

Attachments

• S1.JPG
    S1.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 36

welcome to APS ,
have you got a temp gauge so you know what the temp is in the basking area ?
dont just go by the numbers on the thermostat as they are often a far bit off [ can be up to 10 degrees off] . as for the heat lamp giving off light , its not needed for snakes . only for our veiwing pleasure. i use ceramic heat emitters [ dont give off any light- just heat ] . with any heat or lighting globes/bulbs they should have a cage on them , as they snakes can get burnt [ make sure the cage mesh is smaller then the snakes head] otherwise the snake might squeeze through the mesh and get cooked in the cage .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back