Sugar Gliders are so hard to find!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh it would be all too easy lol. Don't tempt me! Hahaha. Do you know if they breed them now? When I worked there they were only just starting to have success, what do they do with surplus?
They do breed them , but not sure how much success they've had this spring. They don't really have surplus, they just sort of keep a stable population going, which is actually probably lower than what they would like.

Great glider pics Josh, you're lucky to have them in your front yard!!!

Actually i believe you can get them in QLD. Also theres a few adds for squirrel gliders on herptrader right now.

they make terrible pets, very hard to maintain, need vets lots, very noisy

wait wait wait
can you keep gliders in QLD, what about marsupials in general?
Or do you need a really expensive license
i was under the impression you needed to be a demonstrator to keep them
forgive my ignorance if I'm completely wrong

I have some grave concerns regarding the person that begun this thread...

Please read the first post on this thread and then go to the link below...

Sugar Gliders 4 Sale

I find it rather odd that thought rfrancis wanted a glider and then a pair as per their WTB posts and now have many available??

I do sincerely hope that all the gliders are still in their yard, aisde for the sake of the animals themselves but also seemingly for rfrancis livelyhood....

http://www.abzeco.com.au/contactabzeco.htm

Any thoughts from other concerned individuals??

Last edited:
It is illegal under QLD EPA laws for anyone to keep native mammals.

Mammal keeper's licence
Only three native mammals can be kept as pets in NSW: dingos, spinifex hopping-mice and plains rats. You'll need a licence for the last two of these. And sugar gliders are not one that can be kept in NSW.

You need a basic DSE wildlife licence to own sugar gliders in Victoria
This is what I found out doing a google search

Sugar Gliders 4 Sale

I find it rather odd that thought rfrancis wanted a glider and then a pair as per their WTB posts and now have many available??

I do sincerely hope that all the gliders are still in their yard, aisde for the sake of the animals themselves but also seemingly for rfrancis livelyhood....

Abzeco - Applied Botany

Very interesting... hmm...

Sugar Gliders 4 Sale

Abzeco - Applied Botany

Sure is interesting... i wonder what rfrancis has to say bout it?

I hope that what is insinuated in Katshirts post is not true.

We sold him an extremely friendly 6 month old glider in late Nov/Dec that he said was going to be a pet for his son as they have them in their backyard and his son keeps touching the ones there so wanted something he could call his own.

Interesting program on ABC radio...Radio National at 9am last sunday about keeping wildlife as pets.

Apparently there is one breeder of Sugar Gliders in the USA (I think it was called pocket pets) that sells 20,000 of these animals each year!!...yes....that was 20,000! They also have quite a good electronic follow up program for all their sales to ensure new owners get all they need to know during the first few months on ownership.

I also found it a bit odd that he had many now available when 6 months ago, he was saying he badly wanted some and they are so hard to find.
However I don't see why rfrancis's personal details were posted here with that abzeco link, that is totally out of line. Are what is this talk of for "sake of rfrancis's livelyhood"? I hope KatshirT is sanctioned for this grave over stepping of personal boundaries.

Sugar Gliders 4 Sale

Abzeco - Applied Botany

However I don't see why rfrancis's personal details were posted here with that abzeco link, that is totally out of line. Are what is this talk of for "sake of rfrancis's livelyhood"? I hope KatshirT is sanctioned for this grave over stepping of personal boundaries.

I think KatshirT was trying to show that due to the area in which rfrancis works, he should have some idea of the rules/consequences if they are wild caught, and that if they "are" wild caught, and he is prosecuted for it, he will have alot of professional consequences to deal with as well...well thats what i got from it anyways. I agree posting his personal info on here was over stepping personal boundaries, and a link to the abzeco search on yahoo where he is named would have been enough to get what ever point across KatshirT wanted.

Look Sweet but Stink

wait wait wait
can you keep gliders in QLD, what about marsupials in general?
Or do you need a really expensive license
i was under the impression you needed to be a demonstrator to keep them
forgive my ignorance if I'm completely wrong

This is true in Queensland :):):)

I was sulking because we in Queensland are not allowed to keep them as pets,

but after being warned by a good friend of the "delights" of keeping them I sorta stopped sulking :)

Cheers
Sandee :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back