This is what can happen feeding live to snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity, (both my pythons eat frozen-thawed, I have enough to do without worrying about looking after live rodents as well...) could you for example throw a live mouse in a freezer, only long enough for it to become extremely docile, and unable to respond aggressively, run around at warp speed etc...?

I ask about this way assuming that it would be the only realistic way for those at home to do it, anaesthesia I assume would cause issues for the snake after digestion, happy gas would be a possibility but really, everyone has a freezer...

Just throwing it out there, for those who are determined to feed live, this may be an option to reduce risk of harm to the snake?

Mammals aren't like crickets, Dar1stheory. You can't just chuck them in the freezer and pull them out a bit later as docile and "out of it". They will be defensive, very fearful for their life (can you imagine being thrown into a dark freezer?), and not to mention most likely in pain. Icicles will form in their blood cells causing a lot of pain and things such as frostbite. Quite the torture, I think.

The only way I would ever suggest feeding live is if the utmost trying of everything was done and still had no luck in getting your snake to eat..fresh killed should get your snakes attention anyway as they still are warm and a bit of a wiggle infront of the snake is usually enough ...even with vens this is most often OK with a good outcome ..as was said about freezing a live rat/mouse to calm it down ...stick your hand in the freezer and see how long you can leave it in there before the pain gets unbearable..now imagine your whole body !

Dar1stheory - that is an awful idea sorry hahaha. Mammals are warm blooded. They provide their own heat by metabolism, and so they don't slow down and get dopey after a period of cold, like an insect or reptile does. That would be extremely distressing for the mouse/rat and would not achieve the result you are after

Dar1stheory - that is an awful idea sorry hahaha. Mammals are warm blooded. They provide their own heat by metabolism, and so they don't slow down and get dopey after a period of cold, like an insect or reptile does. That would be extremely distressing for the mouse/rat and would not achieve the result you are after

My bad :oops: I get slow and dopey in the cold... wait, that's the flu...

I agree, sticking a hand in the esky ice water in the dark trying to find the last of your can's amongst everyone elses is an unpleasant experience, but then again, so's being eaten alive in what I reckon is probably the scariest freaking way ever! I'd much rather be torn apart by lions, or indeed freeze than have my bones broken and potentially watch my self be slowly devoured by a snake!

I hear what you're saying about the warm blooded thing metabolism etc, I just remember watching a doco once about humans and getting lost in the snow etc, and they discussed how the human body would draw the warmth from the extremities first to protect the organs, pain would be minimal as the nerves would fail to function properly as things like frost bite set in, then the body would go in to protective shock, forcing the body in to a coma like state to conserve energy and preserve life... That didn't seem all bad... well, except for the frostbite, shock and coma... :shock: Obviously not the average day at Dreamworld...

But hey, like I said, not gonna do it myself, was just interested in opinions, exploring options! :D

my poor boy was fed live prey before i got him,dunno why.he has np with frozen.:rolleyes:.anyways he has scars her n there and look at his poor nose:(.

thats really sad. some people shouldnt own snakes or animals in general.. the guy who feeds live and has people around to watch ( family time ) should be ashamed of himself. This has to be classed as neglect..

Take it from someone who has fed in the past thousands of live mice to suitable sized snakes, that if a few rules are abided by, the risk of injury to the reptile is extremely low. I have never ever had any injury to any of my reptiles from feeding live prey in the past. These days because of the legality, other peoples morality, and that it usually not necessary, I generally no longer feed live prey. Should there be a reason to offer under special circumstances live prey to reptiles, these are the rules I suggest you apply.

Never fed live rats old enough to inflict injury to your reptile.

Make sure that all live prey has been well fed and additionally always provide food for it in the reptiles enclosure.

Never leave the rodent in the enclosure longer than over night.

While I support the feeding of freshly killed prey over feeding live, I really don’t think too many people give enough credit to a snakes capability, they are very capable killers and the risk to injury has been grossly exaggerated and while there have been obvious horrible disasters, it is usually from people who have limited experience e.g. offering adult rats to unresponsive pythons etc.

Thats completely sad, it looked like a gorgeous snake too, poor thing would have gone through some pain. Some people just have crap for brains...honestly.

Take it from someone who has fed in the past thousands of live mice to suitable sized snakes, that if a few rules are abided by, the risk of injury to the reptile is extremely low. I have never ever had any injury to any of my reptiles from feeding live prey in the past. These days because of the legality, other peoples morality, and that it usually not necessary, I generally no longer feed live prey. Should there be a reason to offer under special circumstances live prey to reptiles, these are the rules I suggest you apply.

Never fed live rats old enough to inflict injury to your reptile.

Make sure that all live prey has been well fed and additionally always provide food for it in the reptiles enclosure.

Never leave the rodent in the enclosure longer than over night.

While I support the feeding of freshly killed prey over feeding live, I really don’t think too many people give enough credit to a snakes capability, they are very capable killers and the risk to injury has been grossly exaggerated and while there have been obvious horrible disasters, it is usually from people who have limited experience e.g. offering adult rats to unresponsive pythons etc.

I thought it was against the law to feed live, or are you allowed to under extenuating circumstances or something?

In W.A it is a breach of reptile keepers licences to fed live and therefore my official statement has to be this, " I do not feed live anymore".
For those that feel that they absolutely need to do it anyhow, my previous advice stands.

Prey (food items) must be present humanely as stated in code of practice in Queensland

Good point, virtually unenforcable laws and other peoples morality is the main reason its 'bad'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back