Please tell me what this lizard is??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewQLD

Not so new Member
Reaction score
While away on Holidays in Woodgate Qld we went for a walk through the National Park and came across this little reptile, it was about 250mm long and was digging in the sand and eating insects, can anyone please identify it for me? I know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing but I like the photo.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• woodgate10 084 [1024x768].JPG
    woodgate10 084 [1024x768].JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 263
  • woodgate10 083 [1024x768].JPG
    woodgate10 083 [1024x768].JPG
    289 KB · Views: 219
It's a young Sand Monitor Varanus gouldii

Nice picture too.

im certain thats a juvy yellow spotted as we get them here and im pretty sure you dont get goulds in bundaberg, but i could be wrong, also i own three yellow spotteds and he is just like my juvy

Its a panoptes not a gouldii

Cheers,
Scott

I had a feeling it was panoptes but wasnt 100%. To me the banding on tail, and neck pattern pushed me to panoptes over gouldii.

Well there you go...

Just curious guys as to what features you used to distinguish between a young gouldii and panoptes?

It's a young Sand Monitor Varanus gouldii

Nice picture too.

Well there you go...

Just curious guys as to what features you used to distinguish between a young gouldii and panoptes?

Ffs if you don't know the answer don't post! I'm sick of idiots like you taking guess's and giving wrong ID's! :lol:

Ffs if you don't know the answer don't post! I'm sick of idiots like you taking guess's and giving wrong ID's! :lol:

Do you really want me to make public a much worse and more dangerous mis-identification of yours? ;):lol:

Thanks for the replies everyone, so it could be a sand Monitor, a Goulds or a yellow spotted.
He was a very friendly little fellow and was happy for me to take photos from only a meter away, sadly he was the only wild life we saw apart from a Black Snake on the whole 5.4 klm walk.

Thanks again.

Andrew

A sand monitor is a goulds. Varanus Gouldii. Correct? And I think it's a V.panoptes too. Notice his tail has the spots all the way down instead of being plain yellow. I'm not all that great with my goannas though, better with my dragons! :) Well done on seeing him! All I see when I go on walks is birds.:(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back