Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bredli-sli

Reaction score
hey guys thinking about new ideas for my tank,
its now going to be a 6x4x2.
i wont to build a small pond insude but mount a peice of glass in, add some native fish, and a few turtles,
would the snakes leave the turtles alone?

should do but i wouldent risk it, also you have no chance of housing much in the way of fish with most aussie turtles

they will only be baby turtles, so small fast fish?

I can't imagine the snakes would be able to do much with the turtle, would they? I doubt they would see them as a food source, and couldn't constrict and kill because of shell....

I'm not saying it would be smart to house together (I really have no idea)....

ill proble just test it and only have the turtle in when im watching i guess see how it will go

What about the turltles trying to bite the snakes tail?? The snake would always have to be off the ground.

I think they would live better in seperate enclosures. Then you don't have to worry about either.

Ive kep like week old turtles with about ten or more of those little moskieto fish they leaveem alone for most of the time though one by one when they get boared they are capable of caching them and bringing them down orrrrrr you end up with a new breed of fish the tailless type lol good lucck an poast picks when your done.

I hadn't thought about the turtle biting the snake, but you're right, turtles chomp everything :) maybe if the snake had plenty of branches above the pond and a shelf with a hide.... but might still be dangerous

the snakes 5 ft, the turtle will be a hatchling guys, bye the time the turtle will be able to maybe inflict pain, or a proble it will be out grown and placed in the pond, does that sound more safer? yeah im doing a massive 3d back ground with rock caves up the top...

I have 3 turtles and all turtles - myn included are known for being a guts they eat anything that moves I have unfortunately been bitten by one when he was at the vet for a repitory infection getting an injection and I wouldn't like to see that bite inflicted on neone else let alone a python,probably not the best idea...I have seen it done at the zoo though but the snake was massive and he stayed up the top level whilst the tortises were down the bottom

Bredlis are an arid low humidity snake. In my opinion placing them in an enclosure with a pond is looking for trouble.

the armadale reptile park houses blackheaded pythons and has housed olives with various species of turtle

my opinion if you really want a mash enclosure with multiple species do turtles/ewd, mertens or mitchells water monitors mixed with turtles

or if you can the pond all together alot of dragons and skinks are capible of living together

also, you're not supposed to house turtles together, they grow with their environment and you're supposed to start small and upgrade their enclosure as they grow.
this is how the mythical "penny" turtles are formed, by people not upgrading the enclosures.
turtles require a bit of commitment to keep.

Unless you had a massive display enclosure, like the zoos have, with ALOT OF VENTILATION I would personally leave them in seperate enclosures. I worked in a zoo that had a display with a coastal carpet python above a turtle pond with mary rivers and some fish in it. It didn't seem like the best idea to me. The snake got scale-rot from a too high humidity created by the large body of water and needed heat, which in itself is enough to repel me from that idea. The turtles never came out to bask. There didn't seem to be enough UV reaching them also, due to the massive size of the enclosure, and the turtles ended up needing treatment for shell rot. (Minor case of it, however still a big turn-off for the enclosure idea).
Both turtles and pythons need a very different enclosure setup for both to have optimum health, which they would get if housed seperately. Also, turtles are alot of work to keep, they spoil thier water very quickly and if housed with a snake I could see the cleaning process to be very vigorous and not worth it. Personally, I would not do it.

Last edited:
I had red eared slider turtles and they were awsum little guys but soooooo much effort to keep like cleaning them every two days, each to their own but never again for me, il stick with my pythons!!

I had red eared slider turtles and they were awsum little guys but soooooo much effort to keep like cleaning them every two days, each to their own but never again for me, il stick with my pythons!!

Umm, Red eared sliders are illegal ? or did you have them over seas ?

also, you're not supposed to house turtles together, they grow with their environment and you're supposed to start small and upgrade their enclosure as they grow.
this is how the mythical "penny" turtles are formed, by people not upgrading the enclosures.

Optix - This is nonsense, turtles DO NOT grow with their environment - turtles will continue to grow regardless of the size of their enclosure.

'Penny turtles' were merely babies, they quickly grew to full adult size.

Bredli-sli - You would be able to keep some fish with turtles, provided you chose your fish and turtles well. Short neck have a much harder time tormenting fish so would be the choice.

I am unsure how a snake and turtle combined enclosure would go, but like a few other posters the major issue I see is that your humidity would remain far too high for a Bredli with a heated pond in the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back