Aquatic Plants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilefan95

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience keeping "hard to keep" aquatic plants.

Ive set up my nano tank (freshwater planted) and im getting some nice moss as a cover but i want to know how i should anchor it to my rocks and driftwood?

I used to use cotton... just go nuts wrapping it on like a spider does when it catches a fly :)

a-8414.jpg

If its fontinalis just use some rubber bands or fishing line to tie it to your rocks etc.

If it is riccia you cant really mount it to anything as it is usually a floating plant, you can wedge it between to pieces of fly screen and weight it down but thats about it. It will stay down for a while but always seems to come apart on me and float up again.

Those are probably the two most popular moss type plants, but you could have anything.

I was just wondering about moss generally.... Im interested in Fissidens Fontanus but im not sure if that is legal...

If its fontinalis just use some rubber bands or fishing line to tie it to your rocks etc.

If it is riccia you cant really mount it to anything as it is usually a floating plant, you can wedge it between to pieces of fly screen and weight it down but thats about it. It will stay down for a while but always seems to come apart on me and float up again.

Those are probably the two most popular moss type plants, but you could have anything.

Umm thats riccia that I have in that picture above tied to wood??? you can definately tie it down LOL :D

It doesnt stick to stuff though, do you have to keep re-tying all the time to keep it down?

nope I tie only a little bit down.. then it blooms out as in the pic. When it gets too big I start again... You need co2 to grow it properly imo. some breaks off and floats on the top though.

Agreed, may aswell not bother growing it without co2 and pretty decent lights. I found it to be a real pain floating to the top all the time, but it looks awesome if you get it right.

Oh i have pretty good lights double t 5's pink, white.... The tank is only 25cm deep so the light travels quickly down to the bottom. Ive got Aqua Soil as gravel and ill be giving the plants Seachem Comprehensive as a supplement as well. Ive got a nice piece of driftwood that i can anchor the moss onto..

yeah I love it.. here's a pic from google on how to grow it... Like I said I just tie it with cotton wool for the same effect.

Ive heard the fontanus can anchor its self? Maybe i should use a small bit of string? would that work so that it can grow along the branch?

Thats the stuff you want mate, can grow in next to no light and will anchor itself to almost anything.

Do a google image search on Takashi Amano. He is awesome!!!!!!!!!! his book really inspired me in setting up my tanks.
ca345d4e7630.jpg
amanotank.jpg

Ive heard the fontanus can anchor its self? Maybe i should use a small bit of string? would that work so that it can grow along the branch?

yeah use string.. eventually it grows over the string, but the string remains as a kind of anchor or root for it.

So i have gone with this stuff called Peacock Moss, it was recomended to me by one of my mates who propegates all sorts of plants, and breeds shrimp... He said it looked alot nice than most mosses (similar to christmas moss) but is very easy to care for.... Ill post some pictures as soon as i get my camera back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back