Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cambart1991

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all i thinkin of getting a snake but not sure which one..
im after one that looks pretty cool, doesnt grow too long and is pretty placid oh and non venomous....bit picky i no sorry lol

if anyone has any ideas please let me know

I'm fairly new to snakes, but from what i've read on here and other places, probably best bet for a good beginners snake, and not too big, are spotted , stimsons and childrens pythons. All are from the same family. Good luck.

i have a childreni, she is beautiful, placid and wont get more than about 3 ft long so perfect for starter snake, she is my first. attached pic below

My first snake was a spotted, not a bad little python at all, hes a little bit grumpy sometimes though. I also have a coastal carpet, although its gonna get a lot bigger than the spotted, the temperament is completely different. Placid as, never even thought about arking up at me.
Snakes make great pets too, you wont regret getting one

get a jungle i did for my first never looked back now i have two others a bredli and a murray darling they are all good snakes

i have a murray darling. she is the most beautiful girl.. im now looking for one for the kids. im thinking a spotted or a stimpsons. ive done a bit of research... the best thing is just google different snakes and read about them..

Go with the childrens python only because its your first snake these guy will teach you alot just be carefull they are great escapees just ask anyone on this site (even me );)

we had the same requirements we wanted a placcid snake that didnt grow too big.
We found a great breeder James snakeitup who has a lovely line of jungles with lovely temperaments.
My little girl is settling every day she has been with us for a week and a half now. She does tag if she feels spooked but only tiny nips. What we did was observe the temperament of all the baby snakes and picked one at the breeders that appeared quiet and it has paid off.

So try to find a breeder that will let you go and look at the snakes if you can.

Although people say jungles are like that and stimmies are like this at the end of the day there are gumpies in all the breeds. For us we found the best thing to do was to actually go to the breeders and see the snake we were going to get and cross our fingers and hope that the snake wasnt just having a quiet day.

Also our snake was 3 months old when we picked her......so at the time when they can be very snappy and when James got her out we could see how calm she was.........

Also watch out for breeders that cool their snakes down....this can make them nice and calm then when you get them home and put them at the temp they should be they can be really snappy........

Also we chose to get a baby snake so she could grow with us....and when she tags it is only a tiny nip....and it gives me time to learn to hold her we are being really consistent and getting her out the same time every day just for 10 mins and each day she is settling more and more.

Good Luck

Elizabeth

thanks heaps spikey and everyone else. you have all givin me something think about. what are average prices of children pythons and jungle pythons

I'd suggest a murray darling, very placid, hardy and fairly cheap.
Mine(and everyone i know with one) is so laid back, even the kids love holding(anoying lol) Her.
In the end its up to you, i have jungles,coastals and the md and never been tagged by any of Them - YET

Get a Diamond! They are great begginner snakes and grown to around 3 meters.
Yea dood second that aye i keep boath and id have to say they aint that much different except for the coloure the diamond is significantly more colourfull etc and theyl take a while to get three meters and your expearience will grow bigger and faster than it will if your willing and keen to learn..........good luck!

my childrens cost me $120, go to the 4 sale section on here, heaps of snakea available for 1/2 the price of pet shops

Was just talkin to a mate of my mums and he said he will give me his 3ft,2ft,2ft glass tank what would the biggest snake I could fit in there wen full grown??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back