Should Queensland go for Daylight Savings?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Queensland adopt Daylight Savings

• Queensland should adopt Daylight Savings

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • Queensland should NOT adopt Daylight Savings

Votes: 69 53.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

And just who are those clowns who log onto Premier Bligh's website... In all reality they're Bligh Lovers - I call them a BlighT on society - they're 4000 people who'd lick candida albicans from between Bligh's toes. They're not polling as the 'sensible ones' at all.

The doctors report on the other hand could be sensible - if they'd just link to it instead of media sensationalising it!

His report states a 30% drop in the first week...

And the reasons are clear and non-debatable.

More accidents do occur at dusk... this is true - it's the hardest time of the day to see. Why do you think so many animals go quiet as the sun drifts down behind the shadowy Great Divide?

So there's no debate that if you're coming home at 5pm at dusk you're statistically more likely to be smashed by a car than if you come home at 5pm in the light....

But ironically... The same thing would have occurred statistically just a month later when it is LIGHT at that time anyway!!

So - daylight savings moves the clock forward an hour and saves lives a month earlier...

Yet - the other end of daylight savings sees dusk again at 5pm and hence an increase of deaths on our road...

Not in the slightly bit are the 'sensible' BlighTs in the lead... You'll see a referendum will vote out this nonsense and the water-cooler will be a safe place to discuss your scoring in the weekend not the lack of sleep you've achieved!!!

And I call APS people sensible... and the division here is CLEAR!

Qld'ers do NOT want DST - the votes reflect this - as it appears more Victorians and NSWman have in fact voted than Qld'ers - and we're supposed to be the smart state *cough cough

Don't worry, all those in the south east of the state will get daylight savings soon enough. Given enough time at the helm Bligh will somehow manage to sell the gold coast to NSW....

It's a one hour change twice a year,big deal.The excuses against it are a great laugh though.Body clock out of wack lol.

I guess no one in Qld does shiftwork or never stays up an hour or so later than usual because it would take them too long to get over it etc

so true. who actually has a sleep ritual that can't be broken? if your body can't function with an hour or 2 less sleep you got more problems than sunlight.

i can understand why some people up in north qld don't want it but i can see no problem with it in the southern part of qld.

if it goes to the polls it's got my vote. we are the "sunshine" state.

so true. who actually has a sleep ritual that can't be broken? if your body can't function with an hour or 2 less sleep you got more problems than sunlight.

i can understand why some people up in north qld don't want it but i can see no problem with it in the southern part of qld.

if it goes to the polls it's got my vote. we are the "sunshine" state.

Two things - and not that I don't agree with you - in fact I do... The reality is that studies have shown dangers even with this tiny loss of sleep - hey, I didn't do the study... and personally I don't like daylight savings because it does take me too long to adjust... I find although I get a solid 6- 7 hours sleep pretty much every night... I'd still end up going to bed later and lose 40 or so minutes... I value my 6 - 7 hours now... And personally I'd like to see it stay - which luckily it will - they won't implement DST in FNQ.

Secondly... We were the sunshine state and the smart state long before we were the DST state!!! :)

Sunshine state will remain with EXACTLY the same sunshine hours (on average) per year regardless of DST!

Good luck with your voting though - either way I think it is tightly contested.

Qld'ers do NOT want DST - the votes reflect this - as it appears more Victorians and NSWman have in fact voted than Qld'ers - and we're supposed to be the smart state *cough cough

i'm a north QLD'r that lives in the so called THE PLACE TO BE (vic) "and trust me..IT AINT REALLY" and i hate daylight savings... it achieves nothing at all but bodily confusion and drowziness for a couple months then you get used to it to just go through it again... it should be abolished everywere, it's really only the city folk that seem to love it down here anyway so they get the say..., there is only 2 things that keep me down here atm and thats reptiles and animal rules and my fiance but she hates her home state to and can't wait to go to were we both call home

No, just because the rest of the country has it doesn't mean we have to adopt it. We're doing fine without it.

I never find myself complaining about how short the days are in summer.

The only good thing to come from below the border is the road to Queensland.

I'm more concerned about the water supplies. Qld as well as most other states have just gone through a prolonged drought.
Summers here are generally HOT and the evaporation rate from our rivers and dams is high. This evaporation will increase with the extra hour of sun.

Being that I'm born in England, raised in Sydney and now exist in Brisbane, I don't really have any allegiances or bias.
I can't remember whether I thought DS was great in Sydney, but I know that it is popular in the UK, and for obvious reasons.

For Qld though? Nope.

Nowt to do with cows and curtains either. Personally, I can't wait for the sun to set and hope for a cooler night. All I'd end up doing is doing the same things at the 'normal' time anyway?! Which defeats the whole purpose and is just disruptive.

DS works in places where there is a cooler climate and daylight is lesser than that of other warmer climes...to my mind.
:D

I'm more concerned about the water supplies. Qld as well as most other states have just gone through a prolonged drought.
Summers here are generally HOT and the evaporation rate from our rivers and dams is high. This evaporation will increase with the extra hour of sun.

Gold. ;)

Don't be so stupid The Devil - that's just ludicrous....

Everyone knows we've had more than enough rain to support the extra hour of sunlight... Hell there was even floods in Brisbane this year!

That was just a silly comment.... But never the less - a smart one :)

Ok, am I really dumb??
Under DST, we do not have an 'extra' hour of sun......
The time on the clock is simply moved forward :?

Please explain......:lol:

Gotta remember also that there is an hour less sleep when it comes in and an hour MORE sleep when it changes back.. i dont think anyone has yet mentioned that, it evens out in the long run and an hour less sleep for one night isnt going to impact very much at all. you make it sound as if your life is shortening by an hour.
I know I don't live in Qld anymore, but if i did, i would want daylight savings. its not hard to change a couple of clocks twice a year, it really isnt.

Ok, am I really dumb??
Under DST, we do not have an 'extra' hour of sun......
The time on the clock is simply moved forward :?

Please explain......:lol:

global-warming-newspaper-letter1.JPG

;)

Nocturnal animals - pythons (for example) will be seen less unless you stay up an hour later - you'll see much less of your precious nocturnals if you allow DST to come in!

Oh - negative after negative after negative....

Have you noticed the spooky correlation between areas of Australia with daylight savings time and the lack of Cane Toads? It's not coincidence, you know? Any state with a large area of toad invasion or the potential to be taken over by toads has a lack of daylight savings!

Maybe daylight savings confuses the toads, which kills them!

Jokes aside, it's actually not coincidental - look at the map, there's a pretty strong correlation between herp populations and daylight savings, not to mention an extremely strong correlation between IQ, standard of living and daylight savings. No coincidence about any of that. Not all of that is cause and affect of course, but some is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back