Mealworms.................

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how do you bread them whats your set up if you dont mind me asking?

I think there are recipes for making them into pate, and I'm pretty sure I've seen mealworm cookie recipies, but I can't recall seeing recipes for making mealworm bread and I've certainly never tried making it.

If you mean coating them in bread crumbs, I'm not sure, I don't really cook like that, but if you like that sort of thing they'd be nice crumbed and deep fried.

bigi: You should hear about my adventures which I can't talk about on the forum ;)

I think my favourite culinary adventure thread is still the old raw egg and freshly-squeezed orange juice milkshake. My goodness that was disgusting. Several years later I want to try again though. Weird.

Orange juice milkshakes are pretty good though. Mix half orange juice and half vanilla milkshake. Yum! I think I first tried that one as a joke at a cafe with my sister :p

I dont know if you can with mealworms but I wont freeze any feeders for my reptiles as I have always been advised with rats and mice in particular that while the rodent is freezing it can expel a gas that can be fatal to your reptile.

I think the hundreds of people (I would hazard a guess that it is the majority of snake owners) who feed frozen/thawed reptiles with no problems are evidence that this isn't accurate.

I think there are recipes for making them into pate, and I'm pretty sure I've seen mealworm cookie recipies, but I can't recall seeing recipes for making mealworm bread and I've certainly never tried making it.

If you mean coating them in bread crumbs, I'm not sure, I don't really cook like that, but if you like that sort of thing they'd be nice crumbed and deep fried.

bigi: You should hear about my adventures which I can't talk about on the forum ;)

I think my favourite culinary adventure thread is still the old raw egg and freshly-squeezed orange juice milkshake. My goodness that was disgusting. Several years later I want to try again though. Weird.

Orange juice milkshakes are pretty good though. Mix half orange juice and half vanilla milkshake. Yum! I think I first tried that one as a joke at a cafe with my sister :p
Ha ha ha very funny mate dont think there will be any spelling mistakes in my next request........ready...How do you BREED them whats your set up if you dont mind me asking?

Ha ha ha very funny mate dont think there will be any spelling mistakes in my next request........ready...How do you BREED them whats your set up if you dont mind me asking?

Ah, yes, I'm just so incredibly funny lame.

;)

I breed my mealworms in plastic tubs filled with rolled oats and bran (you can use about a million substitutes, but grain products work well, are convenient and cheap), I give them carrot for water (again, there are about a million substitutes). That's about it! Keep at around 25-28 degrees ideally, but they aren't too fussy. I've had my colony going for close to 15 years now.

lol where have you been Turnip head, I haven't seen your posts in a while!! Hahaha

Ah, yes, I'm just so incredibly funny lame.

;)

I breed my mealworms in plastic tubs filled with rolled oats and bran (you can use about a million substitutes, but grain products work well, are convenient and cheap), I give them carrot for water (again, there are about a million substitutes). That's about it! Keep at around 25-28 degrees ideally, but they aren't too fussy. I've had my colony going for close to 15 years now.
cheers mate i think i might give it ago!;)

Sdaji you're mad (in a good way of course) lol. I still need ideas on storage and most of all postage please guys if you can help?

Storage: Keep cool.

Postage: Put into small plastic container, apply stamp and address, put into post box.

Nah really? Seriously with storage what substrate should they be in and holes in lid or no holes? Temps?

And postage should they be in substrate, air holes etc?

If they're in cold storage they'll hardly do anything, they'll just sit still, so put them in a small amount of the normal substrate (grain meal or whatever) and leave them there. They'll last a fair while in the fridge, weeks or months (results may vary, especially if your fridge is set too cold).

They shouldn't be in the post for much more than 24 hours, so usually you won't need any more than minimal ventilation (you'll probably get away with not adding any holes to take away food containers, but I'm only saying *probably* not *definitely* ), and just a tiny bit of substrate and maybe a small piece of carrot should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back