Culling Rodents

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdsixtyone

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ok i have heard that CO2 is the best way to cull rodents. I have also heard that a cheaper way is Bi-carb and Vinegar.

Does anyone know how i can setup to use Bi-carb and Vinegar? What mixing ratio to do etc

Cheers,

Jordy

Bi-carb and vinegar isnt really a humane way to kills rodents (vinegar is evil). Do a search on this site abour humanely killing live rodents and you will find plenty of info. If you are keen on killing stuff in a gas chamber use google and check out the guidlines set out by various unis that do this as a regular thing and actually know what is humane.

if you wanna do it cheaper just knock them on the head, I wouldn't bother with the gas system unless I was breeding large amounts.

I have a few i have to cull. I was just wondering if this was a cheaper way to do it. Do you actually have to put the Bi-carb and Vinegar into the culling conatiner or what? Just courious.

if you wanna do it cheaper just knock them on the head, I wouldn't bother with the gas system unless I was breeding large amounts.

They have a habit of emptying thir bowels with this method, and it's not humane, buy one of those cool soda thingys. Someone else will tell you the name, I can't remember.

How is knocking them not humane????

I knock all mine. 1 sharp smack at the back of the neck. severes the spinal cord, Instant. The trick is doing it right the first time. From all the rats i've culled this way, Ive only had 2, where Ive had to go again, and even then, that was just to make sure.

I had a go (with no rodents, of course) with Bi-carb to Vinegar measures. I still cant work it out. Does anyone who do this have a special ratio they mix with?

Jordy

Bi-carb and vinegar is cheap. Or you could just stab it repeatedly with sharp objects. Just because it's cheap, doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Just my opinion. There r much better ways, as discussed previously.

sodastream chamber is a very humane way to do it, and it costs you 70 bucks all up for a killing contraption that looks good that'll last you 500 odd kills and refills cost 5 bucks and you have another 500, hell of a lot of mucking around with any other method. although i dont disagree with knocking them either and have done so in the past. now I buy frozen so these ethical dilemas dont really plague me anymore.

Look away softies!!
Best way is to grab em by the tail and smash their head on a hard surface, make sure its nice and hard so they get a bloody nose as the snakes go crazy for it!!
If you cant do this method give up and buy them!
I use gas but I kill 1000s a week, if they are for my snakes I don't bother wasting the gas and just clonk em!!
As for emptying bowels any method you use to cull will give them bowel movement as its a natural thing in death, trust me I've killed 10s of 1000s and 80%+ have bowel movement after death!!

They have a habit of emptying thir bowels with this method, and it's not humane, buy one of those cool soda thingys. Someone else will tell you the name, I can't remember.

Bull!! C02 is so not the most humane way to kill them. The poor rodent's just sit there gasping for air. Mice take over 20 min to die

But clonking them they are dead as soon as there head hits the ground first time every time. No blood No mess and No pain

Lewy

I should ad that its fine and of course the only way to kill them if your needing to kill hundreds. Witch I have to do some times but If your just doing it for your self then clonking if by far the best way

Bull!! C02 is so not the most humane way to kill them. The poor rodent's just sit there gasping for air. Mice take over 20 min to die

But clonking them they are dead as soon as there head hits the ground first time every time. No blood No mess and No pain

Lewy
:shock: Like I've previously stated I have killed my far share of rodents, both mice and rats, mice from the time I turn the gas on to the time they take their last breath would be 1 minute max! I use a regulator which I have set to slowly introduce co2, mice at 1st get a bit flighty but within 10 seconds they lay down and start breathing slower, 30 seconds later they are dead, never have i seen mice take 20 minutes to gas :rolleyes:
Rats take a tad longer, but within 5 minutes and they are usually dead!
I clonk my own rodents that I feed to my snakes and on the odd occasion I've miss swung and needed a 2nd go, so now way is perfect IMO!

:shock: Like I've previously stated I have killed my far share of rodents, both mice and rats, mice from the time I turn the gas on to the time they take their last breath would be 1 minute max! I use a regulator which I have set to slowly introduce co2, mice at 1st get a bit flighty but within 10 seconds they lay down and start breathing slower, 30 seconds later they are dead, never have i seen mice take 20 minutes to gas :rolleyes:
Rats take a tad longer, but within 5 minutes and they are usually dead!
I clonk my own rodents that I feed to my snakes and on the odd occasion I've miss swung and needed a 2nd go, so now way is perfect IMO!

Young rodents can take much longer than 20 minutes to die with CO2 gassing. Amateur guess and check methods of gassing are not humane, but if you are gassing rodents chances are you are thinking lets have a rodent holocaust or out of sight out of mind. It isnt quicker or more humane than donking/clonking (or similar method). If done in a humane way its heaps more work and fuss to gas them. Like i have already said, read some of the ethical standards of gassing rodents you will see its not that simple to do humanely.

If you use a blunt truama method the worst you get is a bloody nosed rodent or an unconcious one if you stuff up, in which case you can easily correct your mistake while the rodents is unconsious.

l have dispatched lots at once with the impact method , just need to be set up right . Cage next to corner of brick garage next to bucket , 2 seconds per rat , quicker than gas .

I know that knocking is quicker than gassing but what about if you have to do large amounts, i would prefer to chuck them in together and cull rather than killing each rat. Has anyone on here used this Bi-carb and Vinegar method?

I know that knocking is quicker than gassing but what about if you have to do large amounts, i would prefer to chuck them in together and cull rather than killing each rat. Has anyone on here used this Bi-carb and Vinegar method?

Mate, it's obvious that you are looking for the cheapest option. Why? Isn't it better to do it properly and efficiently rather that cheaply? Sorry to be abrupt but if you can't afford the equipment, you shouldn't be feeding snakes or having them. I know you don't like to hear this it is our responsibility to steer people in the right direction.

I clonk all my rodents, I have never used gas so I can't comment on it, but I'm curious to what methods people use to kill pinkies ie: do you still clonk or snap the necks instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back