The Great Basalt Wall Pt. 1

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gus11

Reaction score
I spent last week at the great basalt wall, roughly 100km from charters towers. i was tutoring 3rd year zoology student on how to do fauna surveys, and safely catch and trap animals. We had many traps out pit falls, elliots, cage traps and funnel traps. We also did roo surveys, habitat description bird surveys, mist netting, frogging, active searches for reptiles and bat trapping. we had traps in 6 different general habitat types, basalt, riparian habitat, silver ironbark (forest i guess), a red sand site, red river gum/grass land. these werent exact sites but generally diffferent from each other.
Until the data is entered I couldnt say how many species of everything we saw but i'll update the post when i know (if people are interested). there were a few lifers for me, 1 bat, 2 birds, 3-4 reptiles. i didnt photograph everything but got shots of what i could when i could. i also took sunset shots and scenery shots but i took so many photos everything needs to be organised. i just grabbed one shot of each thing i had (of interest) to put up. I didnt expect to get these shots up for another month but my planned 3 week trip to darwin was cancelled yesterday....i could cry! anyway onto the animals. A few names i have forgotten but heres some of what we saw.

O. castlenaui
DSC_5305copy.jpg

DSC_5700.jpg

Brown Tree snake
DSC_5335copy.jpg

Our swimming hole just above twin falls, which due to my lack of knowledge in habitat i had to sepnd 3 hours a day at :)
DSC_5426copy.jpg

Litoria Rothi
DSC_5443copy.jpg

Binoe's Gecko - present in there 100's some of these were the largest i have ever seen
DSC_5460copy.jpg

ctenotus...taeniolatus i think
DSC_5467copy.jpg

carpet pythons
DSC_5481copy.jpg

DSC_6396copy.jpg

carlia jarnoldae
DSC_5496copy.jpg

lesser black whip
DSC_5504copy.jpg

A lifer for me uperoleia sp.
DSC_5515copy.jpg

apostle birds at the nest (it was empty). these birds were loud and super common at one of the sites
DSC_5543copy.jpg

black headed pythons
DSC_5567copy.jpg

Another lifer for me, we managed to find 2 black stripe snakes
DSC_5613copy.jpg

sulfur crested cockatoo
DSC_5657copy.jpg

morethia taeniopluera
DSC_5740copy.jpg

I'll have another post, decided it was to long for people with slow internet to have all of my photos in one post

Gus

Great photos as always Gus,

That Uperoleia is really nicely marked. I think the only species around Charters Towers area is Uperoleia littlejohni. Did you manage to get a photo of the ventral?

Aaron

hope you took out the tick from the carpets head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back