Spotted vs Children's?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M-Van86

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been looking at getting my first snake, while building my first vivarium, and today I went to a fairly close reptile shop.

I saw some nice Children's, including a very hungry one who bit a staff member - one of the staff members opened the enclosure it was in, noticed how hungry the snake seemed and left it open trying to get some food for it, the snake was on the point of coming out and that's when another staff member tried to close the door and got bitten.

But then I noticed a special on juvenile Spotted Pythons and asked if I could hold one, they'd already feed an adult Spotted Python, it was a very pretty young animal. It did strike out a bit and then wizzed on my hand, perfectly understandable I'd have thought given just how much bigger I am then it is, but I still liked it a lot and according to the staff members I talked to I wouldn't have to up-size the enclosure I'm building.

So I was wondering about the pros and cons of Children's and Spotteds?

Last edited:
spotted hands down :D better, big, prettier, awesomer, and generally just the best :D

i got 2 of each now just picked up my nw baby spotteds from snake ranch yesterday.
i am not one to say that one is better than the other it all comes down to the temperment of the reptile. i have one really evel childrens pythons and one really sweet one also the same with the spotteds, i am hoping to train the cranky spotted out of it while he is so tiny ;)

I like macs better, but they are pretty much the same to some extent. The main differance is that macs are more tanky, temperment varies in both types. Stimpson's pythons are worth considering too.

The important thing is to consider all your options, there are heaps of these sort of pythons around and they are likely to live for well over 20 years if you look after them, so no point rushing in.

I like macs better, but they are pretty much the same to some extent. The main differance is that macs are more tanky, temperment varies in both types. Stimpson's pythons are worth considering too.
Can I ask you what you mean by Macs being more "tanky"?
Is that to do with them becoming protective of their enclosure? Cause the guys in the store did mention that about them.

The important thing is to consider all your options, there are heaps of these sort of pythons around and they are likely to live for well over 20 years if you look after them, so no point rushing in.
That is why I've been looking around. I can't deny that I have thought about a Carpet Python but I've never had a snake before so I'm looking at getting a small one to start with.
Can always get something bigger when I'm more confident of myself, you know what I mean?

Can I ask you what you mean by Macs being more "tanky"?
Is that to do with them becoming protective of their enclosure? Cause the guys in the store did mention that about them.

I think he means the build of the snake.

temperament depends on the individual, and the handling. My mac doesnt mind me picking her up, even coming up to shed, whilst my ex gfs mac would strike before the door was even opened.

But their heads arent real big so it shouldnt matter if they bite ;p

Last edited:
temperament depends on the individual, and the handling. My mac doesnt mind me picking her up, even coming up to shed, whilst my ex gfs mac would strike before the door was even opened.

But their heads arent real big so it shouldnt matter if they bite ;p

Aha, yeah well I suppose at the stage where they've just started feeding it's hard to get an idea of a Mac's personality?

LOL yeah that's certainly true, and hopefully (with proper handling of course) it'll have given up that habit by the time it is large enough to do damage.

Not much difference bar the paint job.
Okay wasn't sure.

Childrens are better, thats all there is too it.
Why is that?

children's

I'm also new to pythons and considering getting one soon and between the two I like the children's because they have that extra shimmer and refract the light from their skin.

I'm also new to pythons and considering getting one soon and between the two I like the children's because they have that extra shimmer and refract the light from their skin.

well I was told by a children's python breeder that they were the only ones to shimmer. Is that true? looking through the antaresia freaks thread and the photos, they all seem to have the shimmer? I like the children's and stimson's over the spotted

I'll add a vote for the childreni as well..just seems less chance of getting a snappy childrens than a spotted. Course, olives are better than both, but might need a slightly larger enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back