I'm baaack

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I have light cages around low wattage globes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

angelrose

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, after many long painful years, I am finally getting back into herps, I'm getting a bredli on the 8th of may, she's 14 months old and will probably be named Sasha the Mousa. I'm getting her from Franco and her markings and colour look very similar to my old bredli Baillee.
These only pics i have (Thanks to Franco)
Sasha the Mousa
Centralian Carpet Python New Family Edition.jpg
Sasha'a Mum
Sasha's Mum.jpg
I'm so very very excited!!
I would appreciate any feedback on my plans:-
I have got a whole bunch of dead wood in the shape of hides and climbers, i have sprayed them for bugs and now i plan to bleach them in the bath and sun them out for a week.
I am using breeders choice for substrate as always, i am choosing to go with several low wattage lamps in the tank and no cages, instead of high wattage/ceramics with cages.
The cage i bought on eBay for $50 and made a few adjustments, this will be her juvenile home only as Michael is planing to build a tall cabinet style vivarium.
Cage.jpg
So please comment or suggest ways in which i could do this any better. I've been out of the game for a long long time and I'm sure I've forgotten everything.!

Angel

welcome back .... i think its the kinda of thing you would always end up comming back to :)

i think i gave my last animal up about 4 years ago, i was really ill and unable to look after them any more, i sold most of my animals to roy pails and matt stockdale so i know they are being well taking care of.

yeah gotta love roy.
i get everything from him...

what was your last animal?
a bredli?

Angel thats a very nice looking bredli you have there, i am torn between the bredlis and b&g jungles for my next snake! And even of your globes are low voltage you should still use cages as if the snake climbs up on to the globe and the glass breaks you can end up woth a diced snake ;)

@costa you and me both, have got 2 snakes from Roy in the last 4 months, and he's a good source of info and always happy to have a chat about stuff, and his prices arent to bad considering he's the only place to get herp stuff in ballarat.

Last edited:
lol yeah i havent got snakes but he is a great bloke with heaps of friendly advice.
massive help to us in regional vic for supplys and everything else

Yes you should have cages, and it's not just because of burns. But imagine if your snake was to climb on them or wrap around for heat, globes could break easily while being hot and the force of a snake. It wouldn't be very good if your new friend ends up with cuts from glass =(.

Hi welcome back to our world....lol
I would also use cages for sure and put all ur globes at one end of enclosure so as u get some kind of thermal gradient.

you said in your first post that you are going to bleach your wood.???
what is the purpose? just curious?

or better yet, chuck them in some heavy duty black garbage bags, seal it well and put it out in the sun for a few days, very environmentally friendly....
and yes to the light cages,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back