Haroo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reillin

Reaction score
Hey, I actually don't keep any reptiles, but have thousands of crickets which I breed. I bred them for a friend's geckos, but apparently, they don't eat that much. So maybe I'll get some geckos or frogs myself one day. The Nephrurus levi "shark bay" look very nice. Also, my friend mentioned red-eyed tree frogs (Agalychnis callidryas), which looks very nice, but I guess I better hurry along and get a reptile licence and read some serious books. I have a heated fishroom, which might be a bit too humid for the levis, but the frogs should love it, I know the crickets do.

Cheers,
Vien.

ps. Oops, the wrong tree frog, I meant the Litoria chloris

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, lots of reptiles eat crickets dude. Sand swimers are cool, beardies, ackies, the list goes on. But frogs and geckos would be better suited to the humidity. Lots to chose from mate. Or maybe you could start selling crickets? Plenty of buyers here i reckon.

Vinny, whats happenin champ? Just send those crickets my way, my green tree frogs will love em! Seriously, get some frogs, they are great and will love the heat and humidity of your fishroom. pm me if you wants some pics of my set up and any advice etc. Cheers, Chris

Thanks guys, special shout out to Chris -fish-expat. haha.

I have an ant super colony in my fishroom. These black ants would eat anything from fishfood, fish which jumps out and the stray crickets which have really powerful hindlegs. I have moats on my cricket boxes but one had semi dried out, that was enough for them to invade and eat the entire colony of pinheads. Now, it's war and I plan to hit them with ant-rid.

It's a shame you can't just get a thorny devil in to eat the ants :)

Horny devils for hire? Sounds like a plan!

Oops, forgot the "T". An anteater for hire would be nice. Or train my crickets to be like ninja crickets, well or is that "grasshopper"?

Kungfu crickets, armed with a nunchuk
Meanie lil ants are told to get ...

Hey Vinny......

You breed Crickets?? lol I will buy some I have a beardy.. she loves them! Im looking for frogs too!

Sami

I applied Antrid today to my fishroom. I'm super worried about the poison being cross-contaminated to my fish and crickets (who are safe in a moat), Then I find out that the active ingredient is borax, which the ants cannot handle. All a relief. Hopefully the ants will fade away so I can keep things not underwater without them raiding. Believe it or not, I found a mound of eggs that were a complete handful. Almost the size of a tennis ball. It totally freaked me out and it got sucked up really quick by the vacuum. However, I really should fed it to the fish. I've got about 35 large fish tanks, they wouldve loved the eggs.

Cheers,

any chance they would hatch in the vaccuum bag? i always wondered this when sucking up huntsmans or spider eggs

I think they can. It's just once ant eggs hatch in larvae they are totally dependant on other ants to bring them food, so they may hatch there, but they wont last long. As for the spiders i wouldn't have a clue. I think they can survive by themselves but not sure.

I actually breed a lot of things. lol. Daphnia, worms, mealworms, microworms, grindal worms, crickets, shrimps. They all are fed to the fishies, and maybe geckos or frogs if I do get some. The fish are learning to take to the crickets, and now a few of them wait for me to drop them in. If only ants do not climb, ant eggs might be a good source of food for the fish. Also, I should get some silkworms, they'll be a yummie treat I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back