Herps from my death adder study sites on the Eyre peninsula, SA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike,
Your pics are excellent. It was really good to see the adder but especially the Molochs. How did you find those hatchlings? They are so cute!

I visited the Kimba area a year back and it was interesting. I like the nicely coloured Ctenophorus cristatus that live in the area. I did badly with geckos and only found a single Beaded. Do you see many species when you are out at night?

Regards,
David

Hi David, the hatchlings were captive bred... incubated in the lab. C. cristatus are awesome (so are C. fionni), and man can they run!

The only geckoes I've come across whilst road cruising so far are beadeds and Nephrurus stellatus, but apparently there are jewelled geckoes around.

006.jpg

008.jpg

013-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

019.jpg

024-1.jpg

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
What research are you doing on the adders?

The only geckoes I've come across whilst road cruising so far are beadeds and Nephrurus stellatus, but apparently there are jewelled geckoes around.

Do you have any shots of wild N. stellatus? Jewelled geckos would be exceptionally cool to see in the wild.

I'd love to see Molochs in the wild, or anywhere else for that matter. I hope the captive bred Molochs do awesomely anyways. Can they be viewed anywhere?

Unfortunately I don't have pics of the wild N. stellatus. I'll have to wait until next summer, there are plenty of them around though, so shouldn't be hard.

The Molochs are really common as well, I saw them on every trip out there. Unfortunately they can't survive on the ants around Adelaide because they all contain high levels of formic acid, I've been told that the museum is full of specimens that couldn't survive the diet they were given during past attempts at keeping them.

thats wicked man, some great pics there. i cant wait to get back out myself!!! what paperwork/permits did you need to do that sort of thing? or is it just a matter of a phonecall to notify someone you will be working that area? whenever i go out for photography we often collect the animals and take them to a better spot for photos and then release them where we found them..... is this legal?

Gorgeous animals!!!!! Also, I love that snake hook, where did you get it from???

thats wicked man, some great pics there. i cant wait to get back out myself!!! what paperwork/permits did you need to do that sort of thing? or is it just a matter of a phonecall to notify someone you will be working that area? whenever i go out for photography we often collect the animals and take them to a better spot for photos and then release them where we found them..... is this legal?

The permits are done through the scientific research permits unit at DEH, definitely not an easy task. First you need to be associated with a recognised research institution, then send in a research proposal. Also getting permittion from the land owners, etc. I have been stopped by the cops in the area before too; they even asked to see my permit.... which was surprising.

All I would say about the last question is that anyone who would hassle you for photographing wild herps (in a respectful manner of course) is a total douche.

Gorgeous animals!!!!! Also, I love that snake hook, where did you get it from???

Home made ;)

easy, we were stopped by the cops one time and they came back and searched our hotel room!!! we find em in the scrub take em to a clearing which is normally the road, take our pics and put em back. i guess its just easier if you have a pemit.

Parks and Wildlife are cracking down fairly hard on the new influx of 'herpers' who are taking photographs and handling wild snakes. They patrol these forums often, and several APS members have had a few scares so far.

yeah, too many paochers out there, why would you bother when everything is being bred, disease free and usually at affordable prices???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back