Golden Crowned Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armand

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Was just walkin home and saw a dead one of these on the road, hit by a car or somthing driving past. Was just wondering how venomous these snakes are, enough to kill a human? And aggression? I also see that they are among a small amount of snakes coming out this late in the season when it is real cold.

And to keepers- would you handle these snakes?

Gives a bit of pain around the bite site if your bitten, a big one might give a worse bite but definatly won't kill you. The ones I've come across have always been very reluctant to bite but put on a great threat display!

Like Mattsnake said you usually get abit of pain around the bite site but it all depends you could have an allergic reaction to the venom which could be serious. As far as aggression goes they put on a great threat display which they lift there body of the ground and the strike to try bite but with there mouth closed, but if you give the snake the respect and space it deserves then it wont be aggressive.
Thanks Tim.

Gives a bit of pain around the bite site if your bitten, a big one might give a worse bite but definatly won't kill you. The ones I've come across have always been very reluctant to bite but put on a great threat display!

Hey mate,

Pretty dangerous information to those with minimal knowledge about elapids - people can and do die from "non-lethal" species. Any elapid bites should be avoided as much as possible.

Yes anaphylaxis from even a "harmless" bee bite can put a bit of a dampener on your day (or life) :lol: The less bites preventing anything foreign entering the body the better ;)

Very true Moosenoose, but I know of a few young herpers who think nothing of taking multiple bites from small elapids without realising that they are greatly increasing their risk to anaphylaxis in the future.

thanks for the info guys.. yeh so not to dangerous but always prevent a bite.. got it :).. i try to keep it that way with all snakes not just elapids.

Hey mate,

Pretty dangerous information to those with minimal knowledge about elapids - people can and do die from "non-lethal" species. Any elapid bites should be avoided as much as possible.

Jonno I didn't say he should touch it so I don't see any dangerous information there...of course you shouldn't touch any snakes that have the potential to inject venom.

Never been bitten by mine but as already said above any bite could be serious so better off not to get bitten at all. Supposedly localised pain but no serious effects, it would depend upon the individual. You don't know your own reaction until you get bitten and then it could be too late.

Mine are definitely all bluff and put on a good show but the only thing I have seen them strike with an open mouth has been their food.

Once their bluff is called mine are pretty much calm and easily handled on a hook. I don't free handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back