Hanging pot for a hide.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo

Reaction score
I recently purchased one of those plastic, wall, hanging pots that looks like terracota. And my Bredli just loves it. I have added a picture as well.

I was at Bunnings to get something else, and I spied these hanging pots, and I had never really thought about using them for that purpose before, should be easy to clean as well, being plastic.

hey Guys I use them in all my tanks..
the picture at the top I use as my water bowl..stops them from dropping poos into it haha they work amazing as water bowls
As for the hide use a normal rock hide at the bottom but I also use hanging pots as another hide...hang it under the heat light off the cage and they all love it..i now use them in all my main big tanks! An REALLY GOOD for balance and muscle use...because they swing all over the place but after few weeks they have them totally sussed out and think they have found the most amazing safe place thats high and off the ground! ( easy to clean )
ENJOY
Ezekiel

Thats a great idea... Where did you get it from??? Might have to get one for my girl....

i saw the soft brown grassy looking ones at bunnings for about 5 bucks, they are a great idea... i was thinking about getting my young lacy a hanging one for a hammock

I too have been using hanging pots for years - I've had one for my biggest coastal - he loves it... But instead of being permanently fixed to my enclosure it's on a hanging chain. He gets in there, and I can take him out in his hanging basket and then he goes for a wander all over the place, and, this is the clincher, when he's had enough of the outside world he just gets back into his hanging basket and I take him back to his enclosure!!!

I also use basket liners as hide entrances, until they get ruined, then I throw them away.

I've also used clay pots as well, which i chip holes in the lip so that they can enter... They love those too...

Personally, better looking than the fake wood hides :)

I've posted these pics and idea several times but for those who have'nt seen them.. I use these arboreal hides for all my morelia and its there prefered hide box by far for all my animals. the plastic tub sides in and out of the aluminium channel (thats been filed so there are no sharp edges) for easy removal and cleaning.

The black plastic tubs used, cost around $4 and are available at most of those $2 shops or Go Lo etc. The hide is snug enough to hold the weight of the snake and still able to be slide in and out for easy cleaning.

I used 1.5mm x 1.5mm x 1.6mm aluminium channel (available from Bunning’s) and drilled three small holes through each piece of channel the thickness of the screws. On the underside of the channel (that faces the cage floor) I drilled out the holes slightly wider so I could fit the screw head and screwdriver through to tighten the screws up. The main thing to watch for is to screw in the first piece of aluminium channel closest to the side of enclosure, and then fit the tub into the groove and slide on the second bit of channel. Squeeze it up close, but not too tight, as it needs to slide in and out for cleaning. Mark with a sharp tool through the screw holes, the position for drilling the holes for the screws of the second piece. If you have one, use one of those plastic drill guards to prevent drilling too deep into the roof, otherwise you can go straight through. The round hole in the tub was made with the largest size hole saw drill attachment, but you could just cut a square one out with a knife too.

Sweet idea mate, is it screwed directly to the wall or does it slip into a bracket?
How easy is it to take off for cleaning?
Cheers

I just use two screws into the wall of the enclosure at the correct spacing to suit the hanging pot's sloted holes, and just tight enough to hold the pot so that it is easily removed for cleaning.
Also love the other ideas that have been posted on this thread as well, I have always thought of doing a hanging hide from the roof of the enclosure.

interesting, i have been thinking about using a hanging basket in the aviary i got. it has a peaked roof with a hole at the top that used to hold a pole/perch for the birds, i have been wondering about the hanging basket providing enough 'hide' though as its open at the top?? i gather from slim6y's post, this is not an issue though.....

hey great ideas guys...I like the one where you slide it in and out for easy cleaning....my nephew did the same thing with a budgie breeding box for his spotted python..the box sits on a shelf up near the roof of his enclosure.

I'll post a pic soon of the hide/broom stick perch etc...

As for covering the top - use the 'pot liners' and cut a hole in it - that works well - temporarily....

Alternatively you can cut out cardboard, wood etc to fit...

But as for my guy - it doesn't matter.

The reason I'm not taking a photo right now is because he's shedding and ironically he's sitting at th ebottom of the enclosure in full exposure... so I'll wait.

Alternatively I am hopefully finishing an enclosure this weekend and it has the hanging basket set up.... Maybe that will take a better photo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back