Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpb02

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi I was just wanting to no if regular handling of snakes actually calms them down or is it all about maturing with age and size?

Well I'm hoping it does. My new bredli is a bit cranky atm got her last night. Waiting for a week or so to see how she goes then. lol hatchy bredlis are cute!

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Some snakes never calm down no matter how much you handle them and some snakes can be as placid as can be with next to no handling.

yeh ive tryed so many different things with my jungle has her for 5 weeks or so now and still freaks out when she is touched, even if i can get her to settle down on my hand as soon as i move or try to pick her up with my other hand she goes nuts. i am now thinking i will just leave her be for a month or 2 and she how she goes then.

I have finally found out how fast snakes are aswell this little girl is a speed demon she took off from my hand went on my bed and took off, every time i tryed to pick her up she tagged me haha it was a real mission.

i think im going to get her proper enclosure up and going and put her in there with lots of hides and see if that settles her

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Some snakes never calm down no matter how much you handle them and some snakes can be as placid as can be with next to no handling.

yes my woma is awesome but i really want this jungle to settle down would love to be able to handle her freely she is a great looking snake with a bit of tude problem

I tend towards the size and age camp but it differs dramatically between species and individuals. We had a clutch of SWCP which the mother was wild caught and the father CB the offspring for the most part savage little things, but CB siblings of the father were bred and the young a very placid.

Hi - don't ask me why, but the more 'northerly' a species, the more feisty they are. This would include the Jungles, the scrubbies and the top end carpets. of course, there are exceptions to the rule. Out of my collection, I would say that 1/2 are of the cuddly variety and don't seem to mind the occasional handling, and others go out of their way to have a go.
:D

My stimmie is 2 now, I've had him a year and he's always been calm, but perhaps I could suggest that when you try and handle your snake you make the room a little on the dim side, and keep things very quiet....open the door and see if it shows interest in coming out itself and hold you hand close so he/she can get your smell. Do that for a couple of days/weeks and maybe it will help. Don't force anything.......even though my boy is very placid, I still take things gently and move slowly when he can see me. You may have tried all these things,........if not, good luck and I hope things soon work out for you.

I go off the individual more then anything, I've owned many well only 7 in my lifetime and my 2 BHP's where very placid and loved being out of the enclosure and handled to an exstent of time that is. but one turned agro with maturity and snappy, wile the other stayed placid. the other lot I've only had one large Cape york 8 ft that was very plasid the other lot are agro. but with spesific reason's why too such as; my odest male 8years old had never been handled through out its life as I was told buy URS who I got him from, so there is little I can do now because of his age. my big female cape york I've owned since she was a yearling and was always unpredictable towards being handled some times she'd be brillant and others not, but she turned very agressive after her first breeding season 2008 and now she will not let anyone go near her enclosure. the other 2 are younger but very flighty and will strike if you open there enclosure I could turn them in to sissies but I've found an agressive snake is more active, and loves anything food thats given to them, and there surposed to be better breeders. but in all honesty I would love to be able to handle them more.

but yeah I believe it depends on the individual.

Matt has hit the nail on the head here, I have a bredli that was placid from day 1 and another that strikes at the enclosure when you tip toe past and will never settle in her life time, I have a coastal thats placid 1 that is flighty and both came from the same clutch, 2 psycho bhps, 1 bitch jungle 1 dopey jungle so as you can see its just the luck of the draw, thats the fun of keeping snakes!! Once my son gets old enough I'll write in red on the enclosure he is not to open the ones marked in green are open slather ;)

Haha yeh I really don't mind if she doesn't settle I'll just make a nice display enclosure as she is a great looking girl

Had the same problem with my jungle, ended up selling her after a while.
Lucky for me all of my snakes after him have been great :)
I hope she settles down for you. Jungles seem to have this problem lol :)

haha yes as i have been told many times, but they looks so good its worth it

We have found that the more handling that we give the snakes, they more they tend to settle down - most times.
there has only been snakes that we couldnt quieten down - it was a jungle of course.
WE have found that the longer we left the snakes before we handled them - the harder it was to do.

My male bredli bit and struck until he hit about 12 months, now the only bite I've received from him since was a feeding bite. My female on the other hand has never bitten or struck at me since I had her at 6 months. It's the luck of the draw, like Matt said

regular handing may calm your agro snake down to a certain extent but deep in your heart you will know that you can never really trust them not to bite you at any given opportunity. A python you can trust not to bite is somewhat rare and definetely worth keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back