monitor study documentary

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AUSHERP

Reaction score
G'day everyone,

not sure if anyone else caught it but i watched a docco on nat geo wild last night starring Eric Pianca
it was filmed in red sands WA, Piancas study camp. located in the great victoria desert, Eric spends as much time as he can there, its apparently the largest reptile survey in the world! he has a massive drift fence pitfall set up that he checks twice a day, in the last however many years he has trapped over 18 000 animals. it was fantastic!

the show was featured around a new peice of hardware called the lizard cam. These guys from oxford university came over and met Eric at his camp where they attatched cameras to monitors backs using sticky velcro strips (that will be shed off). the footage was a little shotty, as you can imagine on the back of a gouldii. but the information it shed light on was priceless. it showed the monitor running through the spinifex and stopping a hundred metres or so from release point. it looked around, smelled this and that, hunkered down and dug a burrow. i was so surprised when i saw this. when i've been chasing them in the past i always assumed they ran to a burrow they already had, but this one made a fresh one!!! Eric Pianca said the exact same thing, he had never witnessed this escape tactic before.
the other camera was attached to a perentie, which also displayed some unusual behaviou, it ran through the bush, stopped and climbed a tree, the on site experts said this was very unusual for the perentie and admitted they had never seen a perentie up a tree!!!

the shows nat geo wild, it was called wild showcase. Try and catch it!!!!:D

yes i saw this, it was quite amazing to look from the monitors point of view. one episode showed a gouldii run straight to a carcess from miles away!. it really shows how good there sense of smell (or taste) is.

you didn't make a copy did you by any chance, I have no foxtel so never get to see any of these good docos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back