Green Hunting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there are less animals out there as a direct result of the human hunting for bush meat or trophy or land clearing and a million other thing,so it should be the humans responsibility to help with the survival of the ones that are left.
If that means treating mange or caring for koalas or relocating reptiles then we are obligated as humans to do this

But not while we're hunting for them!!!

Whatever works in the long run is good Slim.
The potential for this green hunt idea cannot be disregarded.
Both for the economy of the country as well as the benefits to the environment

This could work in melbourne also I reckon. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would volunteer to be hunted in this manner. for anyone who has ever been to the st vinnies emergency department in fitzroy they will know who im talking about. bite your bloody head off for bringing them out of OD. money made could go towards methedone programs. :D

Whatever your smoking Syeph, stop bogarting it.
A few weeks ago I spent the night in Frankston ER..
That was an eye opener to say the least..
Anyway, back to the topic

Wow i recon that is the most bollocks idea in the history of hunting!

1) Where is the skill? All you have to do is land that dart anywhere on the animal, no shot placement etc etc. No true hunter would do this.

2) Why stress the animals without due purpose? Why would you shoot the animal if you don't want to kill it? There's two kinds of hunting, hunting for food and trophy hunting (i suppose you could put pest management into the mix aswell). Trophy hunting is now pretty well managed hunters take that one animal they are looking for and leave the rest and parks are pretty well managed at a sustainable level. Hunting for food you take what you need and leave the rest.

If people are really keen to do this why not just take a bloody photo?

Wow i recon that is the most bollocks idea in the history of hunting!

1) Where is the skill? All you have to do is land that dart anywhere on the animal, no shot placement etc etc. No true hunter would do this.

when tranqulizing animals one of the only safe places to do so is in the thigh. hitting the head neck or body can cause serious complications for the animal even death. especially if you hit a major organ.

1 target to safely tranq the animal as apposed to several to kill an animal. seems to me there'd have to be a bit of skill involved.

that said i still dont agree with hunting, green or otherwise, unless for the eradication ferals.

I like the idea of green hunting, but not with animals with people :), for the right price id scramble through the bush and be hunted with a tranc gun.
Be a mad tv show and the ultimate test of survival skills if you can evade the hunters long enough.

The sad thing for all you anti hunters is that without all the big game hunters now we would not have a rhino left. It is the money from the hunters that protects the rhino and other endangered animals. i am glad that the authorities in africa see the big picture that letting a few rich yanks pay1000's of dollars to hunt a rhino or elephant is better than letting the local poachers kill them all for a couple bucks worth of horn or ivory.
The locals get jobs from the hunting which in turn makes them protect there income.
while you are sitting in front of the key board making uneducated statements search Zimbabwe.. and see what has happened to all the great game animals that that country once had.. before what happened now it was a trophy hunters heaven and the big bad hunters brought in money now the hunters left and the animals were worth nothing. i will let you guess what happened to the game animals and the rhino herds in zimbabwe.......... give you a hint mmmmmmmmmyummm roast rhino.

I no longer hunt but when i did it was not to make me more man-ly it was for the thrill of being in the bush with a bow ad testing my hunting skills against a worthy game animal.more often than not i lost but i had a good time.

Thanks for bringing this up. I did fairly in-depth studies on green hunting and big-5 hunting (with guns not tranquilizers) when in SA, and they are, by far, more healthy wildlife sanctuaries than some of the other bigger conservation parks. They are privately run, have a lot of money, and some of the best wildlife vets in the world on hand.

The animals are usually chosen selectively for each client (particularly the big 5 game) so that they know which animals are being tranq'd, or need to be replaced.

The huge amounts of money being saved does go into conservation and breeding programs - the TB-free lion and buffalo breeding programs I saw that were connected to these parks were second to none that I've seen.

Also, the larger conservation parks (not mentioning any names, but rhymes with Tortuga), have managed their parks and carrying capacities horribly, so now the parks are overrun by elephants (which cause MASSIVE amounts of environmental damage) and common but popular species such as zebra, which pushes out the less common species, or those more specific to their niche, like sable. So the hunting parks have managed to save species by tailoring areas in their parks to these less common species, because people will pay so much more for a trophy-photo with one, or a carcass. The money generated means they can fund really good breeding programs and wildlife management schemes tailored to these species, so that they don't become extinct, even if a few do end up on hunters' walls.

It's a multi-faceted topic, but from what I've seen, a 100% animal-lover approach isn't the right course of action in this case, if we want to manage the wildlife in parks properly, particularly the less-common species that don't bring in the tourist dollars. IMO. :)

Profesional big game hunting has done alot for animal conservation at the cost of a few purpose bread animals. Do your research anti hunting folk.

Poaching has also done a lot for the conservation of piano keys....

i watched a doco afew weeks ago on lions a reserve in africa had a lone adult lioness that was looking for males they tranqued one and tryed to drive it back but it died because it was overdosed apparently an easy thing to do

i think if they get to shoot an animal with a tranq dart they should take one themselves first

Profesional big game hunting has done alot for animal conservation at the cost of a few purpose bread animals. Do your research anti hunting folk.
Seconded!...Its poaching, and habitat destruction, that in the very near future, will lead to the demise of wildlife, and its far too late, to stop it!!!

i watched a doco afew weeks ago on lions a reserve in africa had a lone adult lioness that was looking for males they tranqued one and tryed to drive it back but it died because it was overdosed apparently an easy thing to do

i think if they get to shoot an animal with a tranq dart they should take one themselves first
The last Lioness! Very sad, and very prophetic!

i would shoot them and eat them how good would it be i love to live off the land

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back