Albino death adders!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys do know they've been around a while right? They aren't brand new.

The ones written about are northern rather than the commons that have been around for quite some time, they're also healthier then the commons (well atleast it seems that way as the article mentions adults) the commons were droping dead by about 12 months...

wow, just searching for one on google and i saw a scaleless death adder
Scale-less%20800.jpg
how weird is that? mabey it isn't, mabey i just haven't heard of one before ;)

Hi all, I just found this thread! Thanks for the kind words :) As you would expect, I am pretty excited about what I am so fortunate to be working with! :)

It looks like the questions have been answered for me, but I'll add my 2c

Yes, they are more orange and yellow than white. A few of the finer aspects of their colouration actually had me quite puzzled early on, but I think I have it worked out and will probably write an article about it at some stage. Basically, it looks like these are similar to things like albino Blue-tongueds rather than things like albino Carpet Pythons. They're all T- albinos, the difference is in the way the pigments are 'supposed' to be produced, or so I believe. The variation among the first few albinos I have produced has been incredible, and with at least two litters on the way (crossing fingers for one or two more including albino male to het mother, although I didn't go nuts trying to breed possible hets) there could be over 20-30 albinos in total. The variation in that many animals would be amazing, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what people come up with over the next few generations... I even look forward to feeling jealous when people come up with babies better than what I have produced :lol:

As someone else said, this is a new line of albinos. There have actually been three that I am aware of, although I don't know a great deal about the other two. The line people will be most familiar with is a line of albino Common Death Adders (A. antarcticus). This is something I am reluctant to say much about because there has been a little controversy about the line, and I don't really want to take part in the rumours, but despite having been around for a great many years, this line has not become widely available, and is not openly spoken about by the people who have been trying to work with them. Another line is the albino Desert Death Adders (Acanthophis pyrrhus), which to my knowledge have only been held by one person and were never released, whether due to health issues making them nonviable, or perhaps for personal reasons (despite trying, I have been unable to uncover much about that line other than it originating long ago and never being released). My line is not related to either of the others, it's not even the same species as either of the others, they are Northern Death Adders (Acanthophis praelongus). I have high hopes and full expectations of this line being something which finally allows albino Death Adders to become successfully established for the hobby. It has been a great relief to see them power on while growing up, and with albino x albino copulation, then at least one gravid female albino it looks like the final step of having an albino female giving birth to healthy albino offspring to confirm all is well is just a short while away (to be honest I'm getting rather anxious and impatient! :lol: ).

Bobby: The scaleless Adders are also very cool! Despite the fact that they are a different species I have no doubt that sooner or later someone will want to cross them to make albino scaleless (which while not sitting perfectly well with me, will no doubt be gorgeous animals). I have been very tempted to get some scaleless Adders since years before I was surprised by my first albinos, although it's something I still haven't done. Quite some years ago I was hoping to get some when they came down in price, but they still come with a four-figure price tag all this time later, so I suppose I should have taken the plunge earlier; I really haven't saved any money by waiting, as it turns out, and I have spent the last few years being a big fan but not having any.

I suppose I can't give that much text without a picture, so here is one of the girl I'm sure is gravid :) As all albino keepers say, it is extremely difficult to get a true to life picture of them, but I have done my best.

30099_1181175188218_1793351782_352112_5877166_n.jpg

Absolutely fantastic, these are truely sick and now my most desired reptile. Congratulations on your awesome success and addionally on your attitude towards making these available to the punters in the near future. I hearby ( please) request to be added to the list, I would imagine though, that list would be by now a thousand pages long. Seeing that pic has really made my day.

Regards Dave

very nice sdaji.
They look to have a similar colouring to eyelash vipers.

Good luck with the pregger ones and you get a good healthy litter.

Congratulation on your success Sdaji...they are a very impressive looking animal and it's great that you are sharing them with the reptile community. I too would like to be added to the list when these become available to the public...please.

Truely incredible!

Good luck with the gravid female Sdaji, did you buy into an albino line or was it a spontaneous mutation? Because seeing an albino fall out of a normal female would have been a kodak moment for sure....

Thanks guys :)

Anyone interested in them can email me at [email protected] and I'll keep you updated as events unfold. Of course I understand there will be tyre kickers etc, so if you're not actually interested in buying any but are still interested in the snakes, feel free to get in touch :) Just let me know you're only interested in news about litters and pretty pictures, not buying, and I'll still be happy to keep you updated, no need to pretend, it's fine :) I know some people sell early, before eggs hatch or even before eggs are laid, but I don't like to make promises about animals which are not yet born, and with livebearers it's arguably even more difficult to predict. I'm certainly happy to keep anyone posted if they want to be kept up to date :)

Believe it or not I still haven't seen the article in colour print myself! I'm dying to see how the centerfold turned out in print! I keep hearing it looks pretty good :) I would love to post a smaller version of it here, but I think it would be a copyright violation :( I suppose you'll have to go buy the magazine ;)

Okay, another post, another picture, it's only fair. This is a younger one (well, was at the time). Usually they were a lot darker when this small, but this one coloured up earlier and looked really good. Of course, it continued to change and looks completely different again now. I honestly still get excited when looking at older pictures like this one! The number of times I've been dying to post pictures since the first ones were born... I tell ya! :lol:

30099_1181175348222_1793351782_352114_1780219_n.jpg

It's taken me about a year to work out which project is you said you were working on "as very exciting!".....now I finally get it! :lol: :lol: If I ever had to trust someone with a secret, it’d probably be you! Geeeesh

Good luck with the gravid female Sdaji, did you buy into an albino line or was it a spontaneous mutation? Because seeing an albino fall out of a normal female would have been a kodak moment for sure....

Oh wow... what an intense moment! I was jumping around excitedly, just because there were baby Adders, and there were some beauties in there. Then I saw this incredibly light baby and I started raving and shouting! It seemed too far-fetched to think it was albino, so I didn't even comprehend it at first. I was rambling about how it would surely be the most amazing adult Death Adder ever seen, etc etc, too overwhelmed to understand what I was looking at. Then I saw another light one, and declared that I would also be keeping that one, then I saw another, and that internal voice became louder, shouting "albino, you know it is" but I just couldn't believe something so unlikely. Just to convince myself that I was being altogether silly, I picked one up and looked directly into its eye... now I don't swear very often, and the present company had never heard me use the f-word before, but I saw that red pupil and I was so shocked that I honestly don't remember the next few minutes, apparently I just sat there on the floor repeatedly saying *******! *******! *******! ...... and eventually it became "IT'S A *******ING ALBINO! IT'S A *******ING ALBINO!" and so on :oops: :lol: I think this almost put the company present into as much surprise and shock as I was in :lol: It was a few minutes after my memory kicked back in that I stopped shaking enough to be able to call a couple of my closest friends and tell them the news. If someone had a video camera on me at the time it would have been one of those classic viral Youtube videos, I have no doubt! (for anyone familiar with it, think about the Nintendo 64 kid! Then quadruple it! :lol: ). I'm actually getting a bit jittery and excited just sitting here thinking about that moment, it was just so surreal, it's one of those things you want to happen, but fully expect never will.

Moderators: Please excuse my poor language just this once!

Congratulations sdaji. Im am so so jealous. It must be a great feeling to be changing the elapid world with something as spectacular looking as those adders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back