Not hungry for the winter????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

discomat

Reaction score
Hey gang I have a spotted who is about 1.5 years old, 100cm long and has never refused a feed. I feed him about once a week on 30-60g weiner rats and he appears healthy. However he hasn't eaten for that last month. He hasn't been acting strangely he still gets around his enclosure and his temperatures are all fine. Is this normal for them to not eat when it gets a little colder? or should I be alarmed? I am going to try feeding him again tomorrow night.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yep, your common sense was right- if he can feel that the ambient temperature is down, his feeding, growing and activitiy will all slow down. As long as you're sure nothing else has changed it's nothing you need to worry about.

My stimmy used to shut down for 4-5 months when it was cooler, even though he was still happy to be handled and cruise around his enclosure. But absolutely no eating, even though his heating was correct. So nothing to worry about.

He's just doing the grown up snake thing. My Antaresia shut down for winter, even though their enclosure is warm and the light is on a 12/12 cycle. They get enough cues from natural light to do this. No need to worry. Mine are still active, they just take a break from feeding.

ok so what feeding regime should I adopt for the winter? should I try feeding him every month or so to see if he's hungry?

you can try, especially if it's the first time he's done it. once every 6-8 weeks maybe? but I'd say more than likely, he will eat once it starts to warm up again.

Yeh my male tends to only eat every 4 weeks or so, but has been doing it for months now, still looks healthy-even a littly tubby. Female has not slowed any, but she is only a yearling. My coastals, esp the male, seem to slow over winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back