marble velvet geckos mating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beney_boy

Reaction score
hey all. lately one of my marbled velvets has been chasing the other around their enclosure. im not sure of any sexes, but the one being chased has big white bulges on either side of its neck. i think i read somewhere that this is a sign of a female. i have three geckos in the enclosure, but only one of them is being chased. Is this a sign of mating?

cheers, ben.

Freeloader, I think he means Southern Marbled Geckos (Christinus marmoratus), those sacs on the sides of the throat are used for calcium storage in females, particularly those that are of breeding age. The extra calcium is necessary as these geckos lay bird-like calcareous shelled eggs unlike those that lay parchment/leathery shelled eggs.

Thats ok Rocket. If he had marbled velvets then i think the male has bulges in the wrong place.

Freeloader, I think he means Southern Marbled Geckos (Christinus marmoratus), those sacs on the sides of the throat are used for calcium storage in females, particularly those that are of breeding age. The extra calcium is necessary as these geckos lay bird-like calcareous shelled eggs unlike those that lay parchment/leathery shelled eggs.

Yeah sounds like that, never seen a MVG with obvious calcium sacs before

Gex

yer sorry i mean southern marbled geckos. they have never done this before, they only started about a week ago. is it breeding or should i seperate them?

lol barrry white is the man R.I.P.

if no harm is coming to the one being chased and you are in the possition to cope with eggs....eg that is you know how to ensure full gestation, then i would say let nature take its course. no sense in letting eggs come about if you are only going to let them die off.

good luck with it mate ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back