Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

giglamesh

Reaction score
hi im interested to know whether N. levis levis, N. levis pilbariensis,N. levis occidentalis are all sub species of n levis or does it have to do with there origin? if its origin does anyone keep just the n levis.

Sub species. N levis is now recognised N levis levis.

It depends on origin, Levis Levis is found more easterly. Levis Occidentalis is found in the lower western extent of the N.Levis species (occidental means western) and Levis Pilbaranesis is found in the Pilbara

Nephrurus levis is the species. Put generally, the species is split into three subspecies: N.l.levis, N.l.occidentalis and N.l.pilbarensis. They occupy a large area of mainland Australia, particularly inhabit arid duned areas within most states. N.l.occidentalis occupies the most westerly part of the range, N.l.pilbarensis obviously occupying the Pilbara region and N.l.levis occupying the remainder of the range. Various texts differ in their display of range with some dumping them in an interconnecting distribution and some standing by the thoughts that they are geographically isolated from one another. Identification can be tricky amongst them and cross breeding between the sub-species will occur, thus mixing genetics up and making it more difficult to identify and preserve genetic integrity of animals in captivity.

If you after the standard species that is generally termed N.levis, N.l.levis is the more accessible however it seems to me that people are even struggling to sell N.l.pilbarensis and N.l.occidentalis. In short, it won't be hard to find animals that you are after...from any subspecies.

cheers. am i right in saying that n. levis are commonly know as smooth knob tails?

laevissimus is smooth flanked gecko but there are no bumps on the body at all, people callin levis smooth knob tails yet they r bumpy. makes no sense to me haha

HA! I haven't heard them be called Smooth-flanked Geckos in years!...but yes, they are called that or the 'Pale' Knob-tailed Gecko...personally, I agree with Ehmann (1992) in that N.laevissimus should be the Smooth Knob-tailed Gecko and that N.levis should be the Three-lined Knob-tailed Gecko or simply, the Common Knob-tailed Gecko....I think it was Sdaji that was a regular user of the term 'Joy Lizard'.....?

does anyone have or sell the three lined knob tails and what do they sell for pm me if you want

And that's why 'common' names cause confusion. levis, laevissimus, asper, amyae everyone knows what you are talking about.

Negative Rep-Style.

giglamesh, many a person breed the Three-liners and sell babies regularly for between $100-$150ea.

yer i have to be specific with the species cause we are moving to WA at the beginning of next year. and dont want to get rid of them and get new ones over there would cost around 300 each from one shop i went to

i have been in contact with the bloke from dec there and only levis levis are allowed to be imported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back