Using shed skins to stimulate breeding.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake_Whisperer

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that you can use a shed skin from a rival male to increase the mating response in the male you'd like to breed. Is this so? If so, is it necessary to preserve the old skin in some way, i.e.: in a plastic bag in the fridge, or would it be fine to hang it off the back of the door until it's required? Any tips or advice is appreciated!

Cheers,
Aaron

IMHO....I think a fresh shed would be ideal....in saying that I have used old sheds just to see what happened :)

Lol Sandee, yeh, what happened!! I will have a fresh male Jungle shed any day now, I am planning to start breeding trials this Saturday on two pairs of Jungles and my beloved Prossies so the shed will get used at least twice if necessary. Anyone else tried this?

Hey Aaron

:) Nothing different happened with my pythons...they just bred as usual with or without the fresh male shed :)

The male just sorta slid over it and tongue flicked and then went about his way with his woman

This idea would prob.be good for a reluctant male but my boy has always been a goer

Keep us informed please

Cheers
Sandee :)

ps....I have never given sheds any special treatment other than hanging on the back of the door
where I keep them for interested kids to take to show and tell
Dunno about the fridge trick :) it could alter the pheromones ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back