My Experiences With DPS - Part 2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
also when does the DPS seem to start affecting previously healthy animals that were infected from being in contact with infected adults? anytime of the year of does it start to show on the onset of winter with the change in temps? have the infected animals that have died been tested for any virus by the vet that did the autopsy?

so it also affected a healthy coastal that was placed in with infected diamonds?? if other morelia and not just diamonds get sick and exhibit similar symptoms it would suggest some virus (imo) whats your thoughts nick?

G'day Colin,

I'm just a simple lad, so I don't know all the ins and outs of virus', but DPS does seem to be contagious in the same way as IBD/OPMV is. The healthy specimens can become infected by being housed with infected individuals, or by being placed in an enclosure that held an infected diamond (if the enclosure isn't F10-ed). So this could be considered infection both directly and indirectly.

Signs of DPS can occur at any time of the year, but most commonly throughout summer. Warmer temps seem to bring it out of the snakes. Throughout winter they are able to cope with DPS better, and so the symptoms are somewhat hidden.

I haven't had any diamonds tested recently, but when I first started losing diamonds a few years back, I had them tested, but there was no signs of a virus.

The healthy coastal wasn't place with infected diamonds, but was temporarily held in an enclosure that previously housed infected diamonds.

Yes, I would believe that this may be a virus, since it has now infected a healthy coastal that had never been anywhere near a diamond in it's life, until going into the 'cursed' enclosure.

I feel i should ask this question as i have made reference to this thread on another and want to make sure i understand your hypothesis. i am interpreting that you believe DPS to be a hereditary disorder like mediterranian fever? Only once established in the individual specimen, it becomes contageous to those in the same family? or saying that it is similar to HIV and has just spread throughout the populous of diamonds over generations of breeding and lays dormant until certain environmental factors act as a catalyst? and that this virus can only be spread to those in the same family?
Your information/theories/feelings would be much appreciated as i have always had a bit of an interest in DPS and still reccomend UV to anyone with a diamond as well as frequent temp drops. (in my oppinion if you are not 100% sure of why it occurs then take everyones ideas seriously)

No, I dont believe this is hereditary, as it has affected diamonds of different bloodlines directly and indirectly.

I also dont know if it only spreads to coastals, other morelia, or all pythons. But it has spread through some of my diamonds and one coastal.

I'm not sure if there's ever a time that DPS is dormant. It's either there, or it isn't. But when it is there, I'm sure it's keeping itself very busy, but just hasn't done enough damage yet for the snake to start exhibiting symptoms.

thats my thoughts exactly my pair are in an enclosure under a pergola open to southerly breezes (ime on top of a hill) a small flouro on for five hours a day is all the heat they are getting and lately with temps at night dropping to 12-14 degrees celc they seem to love it still eating and digesting very active at night if i had them in the house i dont think i would give them any heat at all
UV light doesn't help. Providing correct 'diamond' temps throughout the year is all one can do.

Here's two pics showing the classic upward bend in the jaw. The bone has broken, causing the chin to drop down.

Attachments

• P4210826.jpg
    P4210826.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 130
  • P4210827.jpg
    P4210827.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
No, not all have been autopsied. The first 5-6 that I ever lost were autopsied, but there wasn't anything too revealing. Basically damaged organs, flaccid intestines, weak, crumbling and broken bones. Blood tests revealed nothing, and parts of their brains/tissue samples were tested for OPMV/IBD. No virus' were present. All of this was costing me a fortune, so I eased up on having autopsies done, and stuck to X-rays to indicate broken bones.

No, I have no clinical proof, just observations and gut instinct. For more information, the new issue of Reptiles Australia has an article that I wrote about DPS, and details what I went through.

Thanks for that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back