Cairns/Daintree/Cape Tribulation Herping trip? July Trip Planned

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PitViper

Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight they can share as to the python possibilities of the above mentioned areas? I'm travelling to Oz from the US this July and will be spending about 8 days in the daintree/cape tribulation area after spending 2-3 days in cairns. I'm most interesting in seeing scrubs and carpets. What ssp of carpets am I likely to encounter? I can't seem to find my range maps anywhere but I think M.s.cheynei are associated with the areas south of cairns, tablelands... up in daintree I have no idea what to expect. Coastals? What is this time of year like for herping in general? I've never been before so any advice would be appreciated.

you'll get scrubbies without any issues, jungles and coastals shouldnt be to much harder. daintree/cape tribulation you'll find jungles, coastals are easy further south of cairns i haven't seen to many in the areas you've listed though. you shouldnt have trouble finding most things. it is colder at this time of year so far from prime time but most things manage to be out if the sun is
Gus

Nice!

The mere idea of seeing a real jungle carpet in the wild is just thrilling, certainly would be a dream come true to see my favorite snake in the world in it's natural habitat!!! Thanks so much for the reply. What kind of temperatures/weather should I expect?

hiya, I recommend doing a river cruise with the old local bloke at daintree - I can't think of his name of the top of my head, but it's a permanent nickname and it stands out :)

It's a great cruise for birding, but we also saw plenty of GTS which he's quite happy to grab out of a tree for you and let you have a handle, couple of big coastals hanging over the river, and a 16ft croc Charlie - awesome! Then there were the birds....

I was just a tourist there myself, but thought this morning cruise was great. Hope that helps :) Cheers.

Here are a few photos of Carpets and Scrubs from the areas that you mentioned:
JungleCarpet1.jpg

JungleCarpet2.jpg

JungleCarpet3.jpg

JunglePython1.jpg

JunglePython2.jpg

jungle3.jpg

jungle1b.jpg

jungle1a.jpg

amethyst4a.jpg

amethyst4.jpg

amethyst3.jpg

amethyst2b.jpg

Amethyst2.jpg

Amethyst1.jpg

Amethyst4pg.jpg

Regards,
David

Wow David, that stripey scrub is something different!

hey pit viper, pack for some really hot weather ? some say australia is the hotest country on earth ? have a look at a map australia has more desert than anything else, but around the fringes of the coast you get lush green areas, the far north of australia or the top end as aussies call it FAR NORTH has rainforest which is were your heading this area although is like a pre historic wonderland ?as you head up the australian coast there should be coastal carpets along the rivers/lakes anywhere theres an abunace of of food for them (water rats, birds, bats, hopping mice,small prey ) as for the scubbies you should see these most places in the top end at night they feed on bats /birds/wallabies/ small (joey)kangaroos , young kids , head out to the farms were the fruit bats vist (flying foxs) but it gets hot up there and humidity is hot real hot ,

He will be visiting during the middle of winter Reptilian-Kman, although its usually still hot enough during the day to spot reptiles out basking in the sun

Hi PitViper. What a great choice of location for a holiday. I live in Cairns and feel very blessed with the places I have so close. I have never been herping here so can't give you any advice on where to go. Cape Tribulation is amazing. You will enjoy your trip. The temperatures are just wonderful this time of year. Enjoy.

I'm from Cairns and out by my aviary is a great place to spot scrubbies in the wild ^_^ this time of years days are still warm but nights up at Cape Trib get chilly so you'll still want some warm stuff. I'm not sure about the pythons you'll see up there but no matter the time of year it's always an amazing place for monitor spotting, those fellas are everywhere and sooo beautiful. I'm with you though seeing a jungle in it's natural habitat... a dream come true ^_^

hopping mice???????

hey pit viper, ...as you head up the australian coast there should be coastal carpets along the rivers/lakes anywhere theres an abunace of of food for them (water rats, birds, bats, hopping mice,small prey )

what species of hoppers do you think are on the east coast?

I highly recomend the "Coopers Creek Night Walk" you should be able to find a brochure at any hotel/lodge/B+B and they will usually make a booking for you .. We saw lots of baby Boyds Forest Dragons sleeping on trees about 3-4 feet off the ground....... there is also a pretty cool tourist info centre which has a tree top bridge walk .. Heaps + Heaps of info on native plants, trees, wildlife and aboriginal foods/medicine ...Make sure if you do the croc tours that it is perfect "reptile weather" .. by that i mean , if its too cold or too hot the crocs will all be hiding ... sounds obvious, but we bumped into a lot of people up there who didnt see any crocs on their boat tour ... we only saw one small croc for about 3-4 mins before it jumped back in the water and that was that ... You will love the daintree though , F$%&ING AMAZING !!!

Moloch your post appears blank for some reason, no photos, any chance you could repost?

Update - I'm an Irish citizen living in the US. My green card needs to be replaced, I thought I could get a temp authorization to fly but not so, and it's a lengthy process. I am now looking at September of October to make this trip. I could chance flying now but I might not getting back into the US!! I will wait. What kind of weather am I looking at Sept/Oct??? You've all been very helpful, I do appreciate it so much!!!!!!

Ooh what species of monitors are there???? I'd kill to see a lacie but don't know Aussie varanid ranges at all.

Well, it looks like my trip is now happening in November due to a variety of circumstances. I'm staying 5 nights in cape tribulation at "cape tribulation camping". Anyone have any experience with this site? Any photography experience in the area as far as scenery?

Plenty of gorgeous coastline and white sandy beaches in Cape Trib - I don't think you'll have too much trouble with photography ;)

It'll have warmed up by November, so your herping chances should be pretty good, I'd say!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back